Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
04-26-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
Waterloo - just curious - what does "book" say that dealer might not have done??
replyreply
(04-26-2018 )flatfoot Wrote:  Waterloo - just curious - what does "book" say that dealer might not have done??

this was the biggest mistake they made. they did not follow this guideline ...
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...83753.html

they also did not follow this properly for the valve and injector camshaft gears. They also did not install any loc-tite 609 during the procedure...
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...88-tr.html

there was also metal debris in the flange for #6 crankshaft bearing and it did not mate properly. they also did not install any loctite 518 in the joints.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...hopas.html

The list of mistakes is long actually and it shows a clear record of "in a hurry and not giving a shi#t!".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Brock , Kid Rock , Toolguy
Quote:So, yesterday, Rawze and I machined the block, cutting the counterbore for the new and correct liners. We set the liners with the .020 shims, liner heights came out at .012 of an inch across the board with a half a thousandths variance on two liners. All in all, I would say that is pretty darn good. The old liners were all over the map, from .008 to .012 and no machining of the block. Failure was certain. Here are the new liners, the test fit, we then removed and cleaned all of the crap out of the block.

Quote:We discussed the liner height issue, we were going to go for 14 but looking at these new carbon packing rings we decided .012 inches would be sufficient. Those rings are questionable to me and Rawze. I heard there have been issues with them snapping in some cases. They are very brittle, I think we made a wise decision. The 600hp motor will be retuned for 450hp and 1650 torque, no need for anymore than that with what I do. Going for fuel economy, I want my 8+ MPG back that I had prior to the first in frame.

I'm curious about the liner height decision? Anyone who spends time on this forum knows the magic number is .014 What is it about the rings that would affect liner height? This thread is really awesome guys keep it up! I know it sucks for you waterloo i've been in those shoes more than once. The silver lining is you know it will be right from here on out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
(04-26-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  I'm curious about the liner height decision? Anyone who spends time on this forum knows the magic number is .014 What is it about the rings that would affect liner height? This thread is really awesome guys keep it up! I know it sucks for you waterloo i've been in those shoes more than once. The silver lining is you know it will be right from here on out.

We ended up at 0.012" instead of 0.014" because of a bad reading on a newly purchased, expensive digital depth gauge and had to re-cut again to ensure they were all the same height. -- I will never again use a fancy expensive digital gauge to machine something, but instead go back to relying solely on my 1980's mechanical gauge that has never failed me. - the goal was 0.014" and still is in my book. todays digital technology just don't hold a candle to old-school precision clock works.

We decided to keep it at 0.012" instead of using thicker shimms.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Chamberpains , Waterloo , Brock , overshot , zero4 , Toolguy
04-27-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Not a great concern for myself, and seeing the anti-carbon rings and my prior experience with this motor, .012 should be fine. Take into account that the original liners were all over the map, along with what the dealer had done, no machining of the block, crooked liners and running from .008 to .012... Now, at .012, the liners are even across the board, shimmed and locked in the cut block. This is something this motor has never seen, I highly doubt there will be any liner issues in the future. At least not after what I have seen and learnt. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , zero4
04-27-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Liners are officially installed! Inserted into block, torqued to 50 ftlbs, all measurements were .012 across the board. No deviation, a solid .012 at all areas checked... Pistons next...

It is now beer:30 ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BobsYourUncle , stevesparts , Brock , overshot , Hammerhead , zero4
04-28-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
This thread is awesome. I mean, the cause of the thread sucks. But to see so many people pulling together is awesome

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , zero4
04-29-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Well, we had company today! Fittrucker came by, helping him do some needed work on his truck. Taking a break today! Real stand up guy, and TruckerR stopped by today too and brought the sustenance of the Gods! BEER! Rawze made up a batch of pork chops with some Jamaican "flare"... MMMMMMMMMMM! Best way to describe that meal, damn good! Weather finally broke, and about damn time, the rain around here was beyond depressing. Been watching movies and hanging out... Guardian of the Galaxies the last two nights, Rawze has quite the movie collection. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Kid Rock
04-29-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
WOW, that's sad Waterloo. I followed your 1st inframe. And thought, this poor guy. I'm glad Rawze and Mr. Hagg are helping you out. They are great!!

Last year i had to do an inframe on my Pete. I couldn't get to Mr. Hagg to get it done. So, a friend recommended a shop (not a stealershit) he uses. Which was closer to home, anyway. I went and talked to the shop owner. He answered all the questions, with all the right answers. So, i let them do the work. I told them what I wanted and how i wanted done (as i had learned on this forum & from Mr. Hagg & Rawze). No problem, I was told. So, I went home for a little R & R.

Being the anxious person that I am. I couldn't just stay at home. So, back to the shop I went. For the lack of a better title "the shop hand" was reassembling the engine. So, I started asking questions about what was done and how it was done. I was not exactly comforted by the responses.

In the end I just felt uneasy and worried is this thing gonna last. I didn't want to go through what you are now. Plus, i was just plain tired of spending money on this truck. OK Rawze go ahead and kick me in the arse. I went and bought a Freightliner Columbia S60 glider (not a Fitzgerald). Although I haven't had the maintenance cost as i did with cummins. I'm not jumping for joy. Fuel mileage SUCKS. With a Unilever tune it pulls dang good, but no better fuel mileage.

Anywho, I wish you luck and prosperity.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , zero4

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.