Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
05-04-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
Boy, I'm up early today... Getting warmer out, not used to the heat, and no rain in the forecast. We will tighten down the head bolts for the final time today. The setting of the head went well, and boy is that a thick gasket.

Off the subject, one thing we did notice, Mr Hagg was over at the house, was the difference in the new pistons Cummins is supplying. They have changed the bowls in the tops of the pistons, which is changing compression ratios. Bowls are shallower, and piston ring placement has been lowered. If I remember the conversation correctly, the compression is going up on the lower HP motors, shallower bowls, and down on the high HP motors, deeper cut bowls. But, we then have these anti-carbon rings, which throws another variable into the equation, as those sit taller than the liners. Rawze was talking with Mr Hagg about this, and that they will have to start compensating for this on the programming. And I would assume this would be done at the time of an in frame, as there are no notices as of yet from Cummins on these significant changes.

Another off topic thing I saw, or should I say an owner that I met up at Mr Hagg's shop, had an oil pressure issue. CM-871 motor I believe, still had the mandate. He was back to Mr Haggs for the second time with the same issue, a sudden drop in oil pressure in his low mileage Freightliner. Turns out the mandate was the issue, so much carbon had built up internally, that it was busting lose and clogging his oil filter. I guess he did not want to hear that on his first visit and refused the fix. The second time was the charm. You can lead a horse to water...

The oil filter that was removed off of this man's truck had collapsed from the build up of the carbon and soot. He had just had the oil changed... They fixed the mandate issue, changed his oil and filter, and hopefully this owner will take the time and spend the money to change a few filters and his oil in the next few thousand miles to flush his system of the soot and carbon. It was really bad, I am surprised he did not blow the motor after speaking with him.

If you still have the mandate, after what I have seen down here in GA, is that you should not even think twice about removing it from your motor. The carnage I have seen in Mr Hagg's shop is quite surreal. Just saying.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , Pd6cas2 , t700 , Brock , barf , Mrkentee , bossboy2 , Toolguy
Happy to hear that it is going back together. I think Rawze might have torque the head once or twice before.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Torque’ing the head bolts twice, after waiting over night. Gotta respect the masters.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , rrod
(05-04-2018 )Kid Rock Wrote:  Torque’ing the head bolts twice, after waiting over night. Gotta respect the masters.

Amen.
replyreply
05-05-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Waterloo..
How is ur back now since the swan lake..again sorry.. i will make up with beer if we got chance to meet again.. cool guy
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-05-2018 )wildpib Wrote:  Waterloo..
How is ur back now since the swan lake..again sorry.. i will make up with beer if we got chance to meet again.. cool guy

Back is good! Your prayers are working!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: zero4
Well, busy day yesterday, really felt like crap too, still do...

The head is all torqued down, both cams installed, injectors are installed, IFSM installed, ECM is in place, did some painting and scraping of parts to reattach the main harness. Rawze said throw the exhaust manifold on, so I grabbed her and started cleaning her up while they ran up to the welding supply store...

The damn thing at the #5 port is toast, that is where the liner fretted, I took one look at that and cursed under my breath. All pitted right into the exhaust opening, went and looked at the gasket, figured no way this will seal properly, and all I need is an exhaust leak, I knew the outcome of this. I thought about polishing it, but that will just throw everything off when it is time to get a good seal. So, I texted Mr Hagg with a photo, he shot back either replace it or send it out to be machined/sanded. He recommended replacing, and that is what I did, and ordered another one, $1200, ouch. When in doubt, throw it out, I was in doubt and did. Really pissed me off. Exhaust manifolds don't heal with age, they get worse. Damn.

./uploads/201805/post_218_1525525015_348a97084f37c7eae06a0a0a3f9b7660.jpeg

When I was messing with that, really looking over the exhaust side of the motor, I noticed the metal coolant tube that runs from the back of the water pump to the EGR cooler was pretty chewed up with surface rust, under the paint, very bubbly, and I again got that feeling...

So I removed that, it looked iffy and is a two piece pipe, with a sliding flange. Sure enough, rust was present inside the tube. I was hoping I could just clean it up and paint it, but there is a seam in there at one of the ends that has lost its integrity. It looked like a press fit seam, not something that is repairable. The rust had worked its way through this seam and was painfully visible all around the interior circumference of the pipe. I don't know what this pipe is made of, must be pot metal, it did not feel like aluminum, but it did, if you know what I mean. I ordered one of those with the new exhaust manifold.

The stuff you see when just standing there staring, looking at things. Never fails, I always find something.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
Waterloo you are almost as "lucky" with truck as I am.
God should compensate us with jackpot or something.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
I had to replace that coolant tube you're talking about. Better to do it now than have it burst who knows where. Mine was so bad it broke in two when removing it, and no I'm not talking about it being a two piece tube, one of the pieces was so rusted it cracked in two.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , snailexpress , Hammerhead , zero4

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.