Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
05-09-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
So, then you are getting a great education. I hope to do my inframe in about 6 months, you can come back down south and educate me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo
05-09-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Heck by the time your done it is going to be winter again in MI, you might as well stay down here.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo
05-10-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
LOL! Just talked to my buddy in Florida... He wants me to come down next week... You may be on to something...
replyreply
I moved down here from ME. No winter here. Taxes are cheaper, but if certain candidates get elected this go around for governer that will change.
replyreply
Why not shim the oil pump? I’m glad I did.

Also, I hope you’ll video the initial start up.
replyreply
05-11-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
(05-10-2018 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Why not shim the oil pump? I’m glad I did.

Also, I hope you’ll video the initial start up.

Well, I thought about it, and was going to, but after seeing Rawze's video on the subject, his in frame series, I decided against it. I know the motor can handle it, but my luck has been so terrible with this truck, call it a gut feeling, I decided against it. The motor is already making 38-39 psi going down the road with the new oil pump, and again, my luck.

And yes, I will do a video of the startup and post.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , snailexpress , Brock
Well, yesterday I was putting the front cover on, and clipped the gasket end off that seals that cover... Guess where it fell? Right in to the front opening and I heard it hit in the oil pan. I ordered one of those boroscope cameras off of Amazon, I see if I can get it out with that, if not, I'm dropping the pan.

Then, I was cleaning up the rockers, and looking at the bearings. I wish I would have done this right when we took them out. The bearings look iffy to me, like my mains and rods, like they were dry started. They were in very nice shape at the time of the first in frame, little wear, these things look like they have been around the block a few times. Rawze said they do not look that bad, but his allergies are flaring up and I know he feels like crap. I want a measurement to see where we are at with these. My eyeballs say the injector rockers are shot, the rollers look ok, passable, the interior shaft bearings on the other hand are polished right through.

I'm anal about this stuff, and I know this has been taking way to long. The new exhaust manifold was a hit I did not anticipate, but that thing was shot. Rawze really checked it out and agreed with my call. Now these rockers, if I have to I will order more, I don't want to be tearing into this thing again in the near future, or buying new cams. It is apart now, we have the tools, let's do it right. Peterbilt has six new injector rockers in stock, which are the ones that look the worst. The exhaust side has some wear, but not as bad as those on the injector cam, a good measurement will put all of this to rest.

If I was not keeping this truck, I would throw this thing together and be down the road. That is not what I am doing here, I want to do this right and be done with it. I have had to many financial hits with this thing to put worn out parts back in, parts that have the potential to really do some serious and expensive damage if not replaced. And I don't have a good place to work on this thing either, I destroyed the driveway when I installed the compressor. Then down time, I cannot afford any more after this, I have not added all of this up yet, but I would say I am around $10,000 on my end along with $14,000 in new parts from the dealer. Then I have my turbo, that is another $1600 to rebuild, which was ready to fail by my estimation.

Bottom line, when you tear into these things, and you are like me, no shop in your backyard, or much experience as a mechanic, go through everything and see what you have. There are some parts you can salvage, others you just need to replace, so be prepared. Sure, some of you will say I am going overboard, I don't think so. This is my livelihood, not some hobby for the weekends. I need a reliable truck and do not want to trust the mechanical work to just anyone, especially if I am at the end of a hook for something that I knew was going to eventually fail.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , dhirocz , ZeroNthedark , Brock , Kid Rock
I'm like you. I'll notice things at inopportune times. But once you see it, you can't unseen it. Best to make certain you aren't setting yourself up for another failure. Good on you. I'm sure Rawze can make it a couple more days. He's already so generous. :-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Rawze broke out the measuring gear, the rockers look worse than it is. The rockers and shafts are staying. We just got back with the turbo and exhaust manifold. I need to take a photo of that Turbo. Looks like he blasted the unit, painted, and rebuilt. If the internals look as good as the outside I think we have a winner. I wish I knew more on what was actually done. The paperwork from Mr Hagg just stated “Rebuild Turbo $1500”. I’ll see if I can find out more. And, there is a one year warranty on the unit. Mr Hagg’s wife said only one has ever come back, and it was not a turbo issue, it was the actuator and he still warrantied the work.

Boy is it warm out... We stopped at Mr Chick for lunch, oh my God... Rawze and me both are in the midst of a food coma... He is taking a nap, I want to join him, LOL!

Alright, back to work!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.