Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
04-10-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
UPDATE!

Ok, we started with the block, stone and oil to get her nice and smooth like a baby's bottom. My first back ache of the day... Got that done, then we started cutting the block for the liners. But first, Rawze went in the kitchen and brought out a plastic microwaveable bowl. We only had one, so his wife was gracious enough to run up to Walmart to get more. They were in stock, we got lucky! Enough to do all six liners! Do what you ask...?

He played around with it for a few minutes, grabbed a hacksaw and started cutting around the edge, removing around 1/2" of the top of the bowl, just a hair ABOVE the lower lip of the bowl. You need that lip. Then hit it with a heat gun and forced one of the liner rings from the top of the block into the bowl. That liner ring STRETCHED the bowl to the proper diameter, very crucial to making this all work. He then drilled a hole in the bottom of the bowl and inserted a bolt with a washer and nut, so as to make a small handle to reach in the bowl to lift it up by the bolt. The hacksaw worked, but Rawze broke out the Dremel tool and sped up the process. There was also some sanding involved, and the darn things just work. I would guess and say these bowls are around 5 inches deep, just so you know if you go to Walmart to pick up some for yourself if you have a need for these.

Here is the finished product, saving the motor from block shavings. Very cool! Cummins wants $500 ea for these cups. I think they were around $4 ea at Walmart. ;-)

The liners in my block are the 150mm variety, and these bowls fit perfectly. But, we still used blue painters tape to seal up around the edges so none of the shavings got away. We used a small Shop-Vac to suck the metal shavings out of the bowl.

Here we are machining the block... Well, I guess we were taking a break... ;-)

And here is something very serious we found the when tearing everything down. This is the Injector gear, under the top front cover. It is a split gear with tensioner springs and adjustable bolts. This was just thrown on, no tension was applied, the springs were just rattling around in there and this gear was ready to literally blow apart. Also, there was no Loc-Tite on the cam to hold this gear in place, it popped right off with little effort. I was driving on some serious borrowed time. This would have taken out the entire motor. Look at the spring and bolt, how chewed up they are. There are four tensioner springs with four bolts, they all looked like this. Failure was imminent. Mr Hagg was here when we shot these photos, he is ordering a new gear for me. He is looking out for me and really helping in this effort, very very good guy, no a GREAT GUY!

I am sure Rawze will have more to add, everything is going great, we both have sore backs and it was a long day. We are waiting for the liner kit so that we can finish up the machine work. It has been non stop around here.

Yesterday we did taxes, I went and sat at the Mexican restaurant next door and sipped on Heinekens for several hours... They finished up and we headed up to the International Dealer here in town and dropped another $640 on parts. We found a few issues with non related but still vital to the operation of the truck parts that needed replacing.

We arrived home and a young man in a Peterbilt was here needing some help with the programing on his truck. Rawze got right on it and fixed him up there in the driveway as me and Rawze's misses had a few more adult beverages... Rawze's wife is so cool, just a true sweetheart and kind as the day is long. She is fun to just be around, and she loves to laugh! Rawze is a very lucky man, and I mean that.

Well, that is about it, I think everyone is retired for the evening, and I am ready to saw some logs. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , Midland , Brock , Pd6cas2 , BobsYourUncle , Hammerhead , Kid Rock , dhirocz , Rawze , Signature620 , DLC , scottydogtruck , PuroCumminsPower , Old Driver , gatow900 , Mrkentee , Pro Star Cummins , barf , overshot , JMBT , zero4 , LargeCar , Toolguy
A side note to the above update, I am keeping the dealer in the loop as to what we have found so far. I just wrote him a email with photos of the injector cam gear and the other thing we found, which was the rod bearings are pretty tore up for so few actual miles. Mr Hagg was here today and took a look at the bearings and that gear. The bearings to his thinking were installed dirty, and he doubted that any of the lubricant or whatever that stuff is called that you apply to the back side of the bearing was used. We also found some metal shavings in the block, I am suspecting the main bearings. I will post some photos of those rod bearings tomorrow.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , dhirocz , Rawze , barf , overshot , zero4 , Toolguy
'' Microwaveable bowls from walmart '', lol. But i shouldnt laugh at that. I found small bowls that people buy for thier small dogs to eat out of in Princess Auto. They are plastic with a rubber edge at the bottom which when you turn upside down the fit nice and tight with a perfect seal inside the liner bore. Works like a charm. Paid 4.50 each for them. Buy hey we all get creative when the '' correct '' plugs are 575 from cummins.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Hammerhead , dhirocz , barf , Rawze , LargeCar
04-11-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
That is outstanding. Got a couple of questions though.

Can you elaborate on the oil and stone on the block? I'm assuming that is to prep the deck for the head gasket and to make sure it's flat. What grit stone are you using for the proper RA on the deck and where in the world did you get a stone that big and flat?

Did your engine have the updated retainer on the cam? The thicker washer that goes under the bolt that is supposed to be more resistant to breaking? I keep hearing of an improved one, haven't seen one yet, or a part number. Want to make sure I have one on hand when the time comes.

Did you guys pull the front structure? I'm still trying to get eyes on this, to see what that entails. When I do mine this summer, I want to reseal that.

The ifsm, is there a master o ring kit that comes with the rebuild kit? I want to say there is a screen and a few other parts that need attention besides the pumps and actuators, didn't know if these came with the inframe kit from Cummins or not.

I'm still out running. I have been thinking of dropping by on my 34, but it now looks like I have an injector or something on it's way out on my truck. Idles like ass and drinks fuel. It's always something!

Those bowls are a great idea. Still envious of what you are learning. I bet it'll feel great when you drive it again!

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
The only IFSM-related part you receive in an overhaul kit is the mounting gasket.
replyreply
(04-11-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  That is outstanding. Got a couple of questions though.

Can you elaborate on the oil and stone on the block? I'm assuming that is to prep the deck for the head gasket and to make sure it's flat. What grit stone are you using for the proper RA on the deck and where in the world did you get a stone that big and flat?

Did your engine have the updated retainer on the cam? The thicker washer that goes under the bolt that is supposed to be more resistant to breaking? I keep hearing of an improved one, haven't seen one yet, or a part number. Want to make sure I have one on hand when the time comes.

Did you guys pull the front structure? I'm still trying to get eyes on this, to see what that entails. When I do mine this summer, I want to reseal that.

The ifsm, is there a master o ring kit that comes with the rebuild kit? I want to say there is a screen and a few other parts that need attention besides the pumps and actuators, didn't know if these came with the inframe kit from Cummins or not.

I'm still out running. I have been thinking of dropping by on my 34, but it now looks like I have an injector or something on it's way out on my truck. Idles like ass and drinks fuel. It's always something!

Those bowls are a great idea. Still envious of what you are learning. I bet it'll feel great when you drive it again!

That stone is just a small flat one, say 3.5-4" long, 1/4" thick, 1.5 inches wide. Looks to be regular cutting oil that Rawze uses for the first round, and then for finishing a mix of acetone and transmission fluid. As far as the stone grit, I am going to say around 800 or there about.

The retainer on the cam, it was what came on the motor from the factory. 2007 build date on this particular CM-871. I'll ask Mr Hagg if I remember, see if he knows or has heard anything. He has three ISX's in the shop being overhauled right now and more waiting in the wings. Mr Hagg orders more rebuild kits than anyone in the state if I heard correctly the other day. If anyone knows, it will be him.

The front structure? Are you asking about the structure that holds the gears or the front structure that holds the CAC and radiator? The structure that holds the gears was left on, we simply removed the front cover to get to the cams, and lifted the head out at an angle with the crane. The actual front structure that holds the CAC and radiator is held on with two bolts under the frame. We removed the entire unit in one piece with the crane. That has to be removed, as that is the only way to remove the cams.

As far as the IFSM, like Signature stated, the gasket is what comes in the kit. Mr Hagg is putting together some other parts he believes I will need. I'll see what other extras we will be getting, and you are the second person to mention the IFSM, I will look into that and more than likely order those parts. I know I will need an AC o-ring kit, need to order that too.

Yes on driving it again, but still much work to be done, this is not an easy job. Not something I would attempt in my driveway just yet, I would want a shop to do this in.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , dhirocz , rrod , barf , overshot , LargeCar
(04-11-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
The retainer on the cam, it was what came on the motor from the factory. 2007 build date on this particular CM-871. I'll ask Mr Hagg if I remember, see if he knows or has heard anything. He has three ISX's in the shop being overhauled right now and more waiting in the wings. Mr Hagg orders more rebuild kits than anyone in the state if I heard correctly the other day. If anyone knows, it will be him.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid23329

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , Waterloo , overshot
Well, still waiting on parts, hopefully be here on Monday... Not much to do, so I sanded down the oil pan and will be giving it the Por 15 treatment tomorrow. Should come out pretty good.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
you are in very good hands with Rawze. Glad to hear tthat a dealership actually has some integerity[/quote]
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.