Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
05-05-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
Well, busy day yesterday, really felt like crap too, still do...

The head is all torqued down, both cams installed, injectors are installed, IFSM installed, ECM is in place, did some painting and scraping of parts to reattach the main harness. Rawze said throw the exhaust manifold on, so I grabbed her and started cleaning her up while they ran up to the welding supply store...

The damn thing at the #5 port is toast, that is where the liner fretted, I took one look at that and cursed under my breath. All pitted right into the exhaust opening, went and looked at the gasket, figured no way this will seal properly, and all I need is an exhaust leak, I knew the outcome of this. I thought about polishing it, but that will just throw everything off when it is time to get a good seal. So, I texted Mr Hagg with a photo, he shot back either replace it or send it out to be machined/sanded. He recommended replacing, and that is what I did, and ordered another one, $1200, ouch. When in doubt, throw it out, I was in doubt and did. Really pissed me off. Exhaust manifolds don't heal with age, they get worse. Damn.

./uploads/201805/post_218_1525525015_348a97084f37c7eae06a0a0a3f9b7660.jpeg

When I was messing with that, really looking over the exhaust side of the motor, I noticed the metal coolant tube that runs from the back of the water pump to the EGR cooler was pretty chewed up with surface rust, under the paint, very bubbly, and I again got that feeling...

So I removed that, it looked iffy and is a two piece pipe, with a sliding flange. Sure enough, rust was present inside the tube. I was hoping I could just clean it up and paint it, but there is a seam in there at one of the ends that has lost its integrity. It looked like a press fit seam, not something that is repairable. The rust had worked its way through this seam and was painfully visible all around the interior circumference of the pipe. I don't know what this pipe is made of, must be pot metal, it did not feel like aluminum, but it did, if you know what I mean. I ordered one of those with the new exhaust manifold.

The stuff you see when just standing there staring, looking at things. Never fails, I always find something.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf

Messages In This Thread
Caveat emptor - Waterloo - 04-09-2018,
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... - Waterloo - 05-05-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.