Fan
05-05-2018, (Subject: Fan ) 
RE: Fan
(05-05-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(05-05-2018 )rapidisimo Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  With truck shut off, drain the air tanks all the way. Crank it back up and and see if the engine fan is on until air is built back up, then switches off again.

Started the trk but the fan no longer comes on while the tanks build air (it did a few days ago) Does that mean that my fan clutch is bad or ecm is toast?
easy way to check - shut engine off, take serpentine belt off disconnect air line to clutch. Spin the fan if it spinning free the clutch is place to look. Sometime clutch seized and few hummer smacks can fix it.

Sorry, hummer smacks?
replyreply
05-05-2018, (Subject: Fan ) 
Yes. Smack on clutch to free it. Most of the time clutch seized in on position and will not disengage. Probably yours is seized in off position. Just try.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
05-07-2018, (Subject: Fan ) 
So I tried the hummer smacks and no luck, Fan won't come on. How can I tell if it's the fan clutch or ecm problem?
replyreply
The clutch on the fan is shot if you turn your key off have zero air pressure going to it and you can spin the fan without the fan pulley spinning.

Also it is quite rare for the ECM to go bad. There are so many other factors that need to be checked before you assume it's an ECM. The main culprit being The Fan Hub malfunctioning one way or another
replyreply
(05-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  The clutch on the fan is shot if you turn your key off have zero air pressure going to it and you can spin the fan without the fan pulley spinning.

Also it is quite rare for the ECM to go bad. There are so many other factors that need to be checked before you assume it's an ECM. The main culprit being The Fan Hub malfunctioning one way or another

I guess I'm going all in on a new fan clutch. Any recommendations where to purchase other than the stealership?
replyreply
FleetPride, Napa, whatever your local aftermarket parts place is called. Also call around to the dealerships sometimes they have the best prices. not just your international dealer call around to all of them Kenworth Volvo Freightliner. What did you find wrong with The Fan Hub? If it's just the clutch that is burnt out of it they can be rebuilt easily and cheaper. If it's the internal heavy duty spring it too can be rebuilt but it's a lot trickier and dangerous. I usually just replace him if that is the cause.
Also if it's a extended service kysor Fan Hub the three plates that hold the clutch in the hub have little nipples on them take the plates off flip them over and bolt them back down. That pushes the fan clutch in further getting more service time out of it.
replyreply
(05-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  FleetPride, Napa, whatever your local aftermarket parts place is called. Also call around to the dealerships sometimes they have the best prices. not just your international dealer call around to all of them Kenworth Volvo Freightliner. What did you find wrong with The Fan Hub? If it's just the clutch that is burnt out of it they can be rebuilt easily and cheaper. If it's the internal heavy duty spring it too can be rebuilt but it's a lot trickier and dangerous. I usually just replace him if that is the cause.
Also if it's a extended service kysor Fan Hub the three plates that hold the clutch in the hub have little nipples on them take the plates off flip them over and bolt them back down. That pushes the fan clutch in further getting more service time out of it.

I didn't find anything wrong on the fan hub. I think its the clutch because the fan is just spinning free without any air pressure.
replyreply
Than it probably just needs a clutch. But i can't verify that. But you can take a couple very good pictures of the back side and the whole hub and post them and we may be able to see what hub you have and maybe see if the clutch is shot or if you can flip the keeper plates.
replyreply
05-08-2018, (Subject: Fan ) 
I'm going to rebuild my fan clutch with one of these kit master kits and see if works. Going in the cheaper direction. I'll take pics or maybe a video if I can.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.