CM871 oil pressure
04-13-2018, (Subject: CM871 oil pressure ) 
RE: CM871 oil pressure
(04-13-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  Those dimes can turn right at the passage in the second pic if you aren't careful.

Instructions unclear, fed metal fragments into lubrication system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
(04-13-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  im very confused. you put dimes where and they went where? if you put them where they are supposed to go there is no way than can go anywhere and have done this dozens of times with 0 issues.

They went in the regulator bore like they're supposed to. The oil pump was on the motor and the bottom coolant pipe was partially blocking my view inside the bore. I put five dimes in and I guess 2 got lodged cross ways and pushed to the right into the main pump housing. There is approximately a 2" dead end at the back of the bore where the dimes are supposed to go. 3 dimes made it there, but 2 ended up going through the pump. A piece of one of those is in my prior pick. The other 1.75 are MIA. I'm assuming they got caught by the oil thermostat and plugged the rifle. I'm tearing down the oil cooler to inspect. I have new oil cooler, oil thermostat, and oil pump, along with accouterments en route. Might as well replace the oil cooler while I'm there I figure. Also will take egr cooler to cummins for pressure test. Having the oil pressure problems I was having before the dimes, I wouldn't be surprised to find some other debris around the thermostat. While disassembled I'll make certain the rifle between the pump and thermostat is completely clean as well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
what side of the spring did you put the dimes? bore side or dog bone cup side? A or B?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201804/post_264_1523665145_f44fe4d7b60e37168a8213817dda08d2.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , ZeroNthedark , DosGatos
(04-13-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  what side of the spring did you put the dimes? bore side or dog bone cup side? A or B?
A. Dimes first, then spring.
replyreply
(04-13-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  what side of the spring did you put the dimes? bore side or dog bone cup side? A or B?

I always put them inside the dogbone cup, sticky them all up together with Vaseline and into the cup they go.
That way they're "captured" and cannot go anywhere.
Never had a issue.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
Even though Uni and Hammer got it first, here's Rawze's rebuild video for the visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHaDYh1D...w&index=39
replyreply
(04-13-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  
(04-13-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  im very confused. you put dimes where and they went where? if you put them where they are supposed to go there is no way than can go anywhere and have done this dozens of times with 0 issues.

They went in the regulator bore like they're supposed to. The oil pump was on the motor and the bottom coolant pipe was partially blocking my view inside the bore. I put five dimes in and I guess 2 got lodged cross ways and pushed to the right into the main pump housing. There is approximately a 2" dead end at the back of the bore where the dimes are supposed to go. 3 dimes made it there, but 2 ended up going through the pump. A piece of one of those is in my prior pick. The other 1.75 are MIA. I'm assuming they got caught by the oil thermostat and plugged the rifle. I'm tearing down the oil cooler to inspect. I have new oil cooler, oil thermostat, and oil pump, along with accouterments en route. Might as well replace the oil cooler while I'm there I figure. Also will take egr cooler to cummins for pressure test. Having the oil pressure problems I was having before the dimes, I wouldn't be surprised to find some other debris around the thermostat. While disassembled I'll make certain the rifle between the pump and thermostat is completely clean as well.

You made some kind of mistake. Simple as that. Wrong placement or too many of them. My youtube video shows how most guys do it. I used 1/2" worth of them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
A. Dimes first, then spring.

NEVER A, ALWAYS B!!

they have to go into the dogbone cup! if you try to put them in the bore they can and will go through your pump as you can see!

im sorry you made a mistake and thats why your fishing dimes outa your oil rifles.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pearce trucking , DosGatos
04-14-2018, (Subject: CM871 oil pressure ) 
(04-13-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

You made some kind of mistake. Simple as that. Wrong placement or too many of them. My youtube video shows how most guys do it. I used 1/2" worth of them.

Hey Rawze.
Your video I've watched before. If the pump is off the truck, putting the dimes in first works as you can drop them in and visually ensure that they are flat at the bottom of the bore. I did it that way with the pump on the motor as I described a couple posts back. Unilevers most recent reply makes sense regarding putting the dimes in the dog bone because the spring holds them in. I put the dimes in first and 2 of them made it in to the gears as Unilevers reply notes is possible. I'm not sore. Your video explicitly says that you don't recommend it and warranty is voided etc. So I made the choice to try it. You might note on the video that the way Unilevers describes it is the way it should be done if the pump is on the truck and the bore is sitting horizontal. I measured the components after disassembly and everything was in spec, except the high pressure relief valve spring was a couple hundredths of an inch short. The regulator bore was not beat in and the internal gears were good. Probably a bit of excessive gear lash on the external gears. Anyway after 700000 miles of heat cycles and use, I imagine the two springs lose some of their strength. (I don't have a spring compressor tool to verify but it stands to reason.) I'll be inspecting the oil thermostat for restriction now and will find the missing coins somewhere before the filter. Couple days of extra work, but I was already gonna do the oil cooler after the next trip, so It'll get done a little sooner. Anyway, I don't foresee any major damage having been done. I ran the overhead last Saturday, and all the cam lobes look good on both cams. If pressure still is low, I'll look at rods and mains, and piston cooling nozzles.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.