coolant filter cut apart
04-07-2016, (Subject: coolant filter cut apart ) 
coolant filter cut apart
./uploads/201604/post_608_1460043300_67129cad7a195c71126b37438cd4cecf.jpg
When I was draining my coolant I saw some sediment in the coolant lines. So I cut coolant filter apart and its after 45,000miles. Cummins quickserve says change the coolant filter every 50,000miles. I wont go that many miles with it anymore. It needs to be replaced atleast every 20000miles othervise coolant will bypass it when its full.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
04-08-2016, (Subject: coolant filter cut apart ) 
RE: coolant filter cut apart
What engine is this for and do you happen to have the part number?

CM871 is WF1241-03?
replyreply
It looks better than this one ---

./uploads/201604/post_2_1460111360_9ecb17f2794840fa3b1c72cd7290f027.jpg

This is one that had likely never been changed. Found it on a truck that had 600k miles on it.

What you think the rest of the engine looked like eh? --- and to think this guy was being picky about what kind of oil he was using, asking all kinds of questions about making his engine last longer... lol

Guess he never thought about making sure his coolant system was in good shape too.

The point of all this is --- CHANGE YOUR COOLANT FILTER EVERY 50,000 MILES OR SO!

I haven't had a problem with that interval. If your getting clogging at 20,000 miles, there is something wrong. Likely your using the wrong coolant filter. ISX engines need a WF2127 --- NOT a WF2126. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE, because the 2126 is full of dried SCA additive when you put it on and if you keep using them, they will gum up your system and the coolant filter will keep getting clogged up.

I recommend people use the WF2127 filters ONLY! and if their coolant needs SCA or nitrates,.. TEST YOUR COOLANT YOURSELF WITH TEST STRIPS REGULARLY ADD IT YOURSELF!

--- And if you use RED COOLANT --- GUESS WHAT -- YOU DON'T NEED SCA ADDITIVES AT ALL! --- The WF2127 filter IS THE ONLY FILTER you should be running to avoid gumming up the system.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Every other oil change on mine, and you have to watch them that they get the correct filter on if you are running the Red Coolant like Rawze stated! I had one shop that tried to put an additive laced filter on mine, the only reason I caught it is when they told me the price! It was twice as much+ $$$ as the WF2127 @ $80! I try to use the same Speedco, but sometimes it is not possible. But one thing I do do, is hover around the truck and make sure they do what they are supposed to do. Gotta keep an eye on these guys.
replyreply
05-03-2016, (Subject: coolant filter cut apart ) 
(04-08-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  CHANGE YOUR COOLANT FILTER EVERY 50,000 MILES OR SO!

Don't mind me bringing a thread back from the dead, but I was chatting with a mechanic at the company I work for and he said that they don't change the coolant filters anymore as part of regular service. I asked him because I noticed that he had not changed the coolant filter as part of my "B" service. The reason they do not change coolant filters anymore is because of this "New" coolant they are using. Replacing the filter is not required.

It took me so much to not start busting out laughing.

Also, since I just purchased my truck a couple of months ago, I asked him about any preventative maintenance regarding changing oil in axles, transmissions, and rear ends. He told me that there is no reason to change the oil in axles, transmissions, or rear ends unless you have a failure.

Lets just say I don't ask him anymore questions about my truck.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(05-03-2016 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  Don't mind me bringing a thread back from the dead, but I was chatting with a mechanic at the company I work for and he said that they don't change the coolant filters anymore as part of regular service. I asked him because I noticed that he had not changed the coolant filter as part of my "B" service. The reason they do not change coolant filters anymore is because of this "New" coolant they are using. Replacing the filter is not required.

It took me so much to not start busting out laughing.

Also, since I just purchased my truck a couple of months ago, I asked him about any preventative maintenance regarding changing oil in axles, transmissions, and rear ends. He told me that there is no reason to change the oil in axles, transmissions, or rear ends unless you have a failure.

Lets just say I don't ask him anymore questions about my truck.

Wow, that is truly bad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
That is big fleet mentality, the shop the company I work for has some great guys and do good work on a lot of things but they look at you like you got 2 heads when you want to do any type of preventative maintenance.. In fact this is how most places operate so I guess it not all their fault since the norm is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" most of us are the odd balls sadly
replyreply
Big fleet mentality. Riiiiiigggghhhhhtttt. Just before Valentines day I was loading a load of flowers just outside of Vancouver. A company day cab showed up to do a preload and we got to talking. He was asking me questions that seemed kinda strange for a company driver to ask like what problems he should be looking out for with his truck. It turns out he bought the truck from the company not too long before and he mentioned when he asked "when does the oil need changing?" the reply was "you got lucky, we just changed it before you bought it so you're good for another 80000km."

Keep in mind this is a day cab working a big city and most likely before that it ran turn pikes on the prairies, both of which I consider severe to extreme service. Even Volvo give a distance of 40000km for severe and I think 30000km for extreme. I'm sure the company's response would be "but we're using synthetic oil, and besides we trade them off just before the warranty runs out so WE DON'T CARE""

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
05-04-2016, (Subject: coolant filter cut apart ) 
Yea our fleet runs the cheapest oil you can buy, Irving 10w30... 65k oil change interval, although many times it never gets put on work orders by the driver, some trucks have gone over 100k before one of the mechanics catch it.

The sad thing is most of the owner operators we got completely buy into this line of thinking "works for the company, must work for me" then they wonder why after 4 years their truck is having so many problems and has become so unreliable that it's time to head back to the dealer for another new one. These aren't new O/O either, been at it 20+years most of them. They don't got shi#t to show for it and many are in debt to the company, which is really sad cause they were making big bucks on percentage for most of their career.

"Any fool can make money but not everyone can hold onto it"
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.