Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows
04-17-2018, (Subject: Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows ) 
Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows
I have a Cummins ISX 871 engine in my International ProStar. I recently have developed an exhaust leak at the EGR cooler on the bellows. You can reach behind the bellows and feel a small hole. I went to Cummins only to learn that you cannot replace the Bellows but you have to replace the entire EGR cooler. I have 640000 miles on my truck. Is this something that happens or is common to that bellows? I have done in EGR Delete on my truck and my truck runs very well and I have never seen a hole in the bellows before so I would appreciate some Direction some ideas thank you in advance
replyreply
RE: Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows
Get the cooler blocked. Get a plate put in where it connects to the exhaust manifold.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
bad post is repeated below in Uni's post, sorry.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(04-17-2018 )barf Wrote:  In addition to what Brock said, make it yourself. Go to a home improvement store that sells electrical; buy a steel octagonal box cover plate and cut a 50mm diameter circle out of it.

Take the clamp off, squeeze the bellows enough to slip the 50mm circle in there, put the clamp back on, done.

Another website trying to sell expensive parts told me that the heat would eat that plate; you need to go thicker. Mine has lasted years!

this is a horrible idea and i literally have seen shitty plugs fail 3 times and take out 2 turbos each. go thicker and dont gamble with it. if that plate deforms at all the manifold will suck it up and shove it through the turbo. you are just lucky and are living on borrowed time!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , redbeard , Brock , Hammerhead
Thanks Unilevers. I'm surprised that a manifold would suck metal from down there being so pressurized, but I'll believe you. Anyways, I'm safe. My plate did last years, and except being coated with soot, looked like the day I installed it. But the cooler gave out, so I've since had the cooler welded.
replyreply
(04-17-2018 )barf Wrote:  Thanks Unilevers. I'm surprised that a manifold would suck metal from down there being so pressurized, but I'll believe you. Anyways, I'm safe. My plate did last years, and except being coated with soot, looked like the day I installed it. But the cooler gave out, so I've since had the cooler welded.

pulse technology, it very much will suck it back up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
(04-17-2018 )barf Wrote:  Thanks Unilevers. I'm surprised that a manifold would suck metal from down there being so pressurized, but I'll believe you. Anyways, I'm safe. My plate did last years, and except being coated with soot, looked like the day I installed it. But the cooler gave out, so I've since had the cooler welded.

Trust Uni on this one. You have gotten lucky if that is all you did. I know of several that were not so lucky and it ate the turbo.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , Brock , Signature620
04-18-2018, (Subject: Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows ) 
I used a stainless disc once thinking it would withstand the heat and be impossible for observers to see, but it lasted 2 days before it broke up and destroyed the VGT.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
04-20-2018, (Subject: Exhaust leak at the EGR cooler bellows ) 
How thick of plate was it?

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.