My Cat rod bearings...
07-25-2018, (Subject: My Cat rod bearings... ) 
RE: My Cat rod bearings...
Yes, it sure is.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
08-19-2018, (Subject: My Cat rod bearings... ) 
The tops definitely show the coolant. Antifreeze breaks the film strength of the oil and the top bearing takes most of the flak...with that said however I am seeing a lot of contamination in the bearings and #1 definitely had something behind the bearing when it got installed. Clean, organize the parts, clean again, get everything ready and clean again. You can never be too clean working inside an engine.

Here are a few out of a SDP with 600k on it. Bypass valve stuck in the pump and they ran it for 500 miles with 15psi oil pressure - shut down 59 times due to pressure. You can see on one bearing a spek of something was behind it during install. It does not take much to throw them off and do bad things.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201808/post_3746_1534731127_13cba6aa6eb5b187d10772b0abda606b.jpg
replyreply
08-20-2018, (Subject: My Cat rod bearings... ) 
(08-19-2018 )Zhidden Wrote:  ...
I am seeing a lot of contamination in the bearings and #1 definitely had something behind the bearing when it got installed

Sometimes that is the case when you see scarring on the bearing and everyone is quick to always blame it on "must have been dirty when installed".

What I have found though is that many times the scarring is actually carbon packing that has gotten into them.

./uploads/201808/post_2_1534770013_6cef07d90dc24a96942d3cef0e8db62a.png

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-22-2018, (Subject: My Cat rod bearings... ) 
(08-20-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 )Zhidden Wrote:  ...
I am seeing a lot of contamination in the bearings and #1 definitely had something behind the bearing when it got installed

Sometimes that is the case when you see scarring on the bearing and everyone is quick to always blame it on "must have been dirty when installed".

What I have found though is that many times the scarring is actually carbon packing that has gotten into them.
No doubt there but being fresh installs Its hard for me to think that was the pure cause. Down to the copper either has extreme cyl pressures or antifreeze which will completely compromise the oil wedge in the bearings. But those scratches...the bearings I posted came out of a truck that was plugging filters every 5k due to a bad turbo pushing soot through the seal. Truck would blow the dipstick out under boost from blowby.
Sdps definitely make soot. But that doesn't seem like it for the short time they were in.

However I can't say for certain. Just looks like the bearings took alot or garbage pretty fresh into their life then something else wiped them.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.