09 no crank
04-26-2018, (Subject: 09 no crank ) 
09 no crank
I've got an 09 Prostar with an ISX and a 10sp eaton ultra shift. Sometime when I turn the key to start the truck all I get is some relays clicking in the fuse box. When it does that I can step on the brake pedal and the engine will crank right up. The only two things I can think of is a bad starter relay or my body controller is start to take a dump. I say that about the body controller because every once in a while over the weekend I'll see my sleeper light come on by itself. Anybody have some other suggestions on what else to check out?
replyreply
04-27-2018, (Subject: 09 no crank ) 
RE: 09 no crank
Possibly the brake pedal switch not working correctly. With your autoshift you probably have to push on the brake to start the truck. Just like in a car. As for where that switch is, i have no idea. Im sure the pro star guys can help.
replyreply
Is the display for the transmission gear indicator showing N or flashing. Flashing would be a sign of a problem.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(04-27-2018 )redbeard Wrote:  Is the display for the transmission gear indicator showing N or flashing. Flashing would be a sign of a problem.
Shows N. No faults anywhere.
replyreply
(04-27-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Possibly the brake pedal switch not working correctly. With your autoshift you probably have to push on the brake to start the truck. Just like in a car. As for where that switch is, i have no idea. Im sure the pro star guys can help.

Never had to have the brake pedal pushed in before. This is a new development. I've cleaned all the grounds I can find, cleaned the battery terminals, and the batteries are good. The starter is less than 6 months old.
replyreply
My prostar requires the clutch pedal to be pressed in to start.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-27-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  My prostar requires the clutch pedal to be pressed in to start.

My 12 Prostar with a manual does also. I've got another 08 Prostar with an isx and 10sp ultra shift that doesn't do this. It seems pretty random.
replyreply
Again, not being able to see what position your switches are in could be your problem. Im not saying it is but It could be a faulty clutch switch or brake switch. They will stick in the opposite position or even flicker back and forth. Open and closed or on and off. I would get Insite to watch the switches or go old school and jumper wire them to see if it solves your problem. Then move on if it doesn't.

Im only going with the switches 1st because you said pushing on the brake allows you to start the truck.
replyreply
Well turns out it was the starter dying. Changed the starter relay, same thing. Changed the 5 month old starter, problem solved.....at least so today.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.