Check out my new problem! :)
04-28-2018, (Subject: Check out my new problem! :) ) 
RE: Check out my new problem! :)
(04-28-2018 )Baco74 Wrote:  Maybe O rings on injectors

If additives and draining fuel tanks n cleaning them isn't cutting it then I'll check the o rings on the injectors.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
04-29-2018, (Subject: Check out my new problem! :) ) 
So I was on FB earlier and saw that a lot of people had the same issue as me and looked alike like my filters. So it's not algae but asphalyanies or how ever you say it.

Cleaning the tanks wouldn't completely fix the issue. Have to use a specific additive for it.

Now that we know what my issue is, any recommendations on a great additive?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
The problem with asphaultine is your engine continuously creates it from the heat in the head cooking the fuel as it flows through the passages. Filtering is the best way to keep it under control.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: overshot
Well, cummins used to make an additive specifically for asphaltine. but, they just quit making it and is no longer available. Cummins in Odessa, Tx says that cummins is recomending Power Service "Diesel Kleen". Which Rawze recomends using once a month for cleaning the fuel system.

Penray does make an additive for asphaltine. Just google penray asphaltine. you can order it from amazon $13.99/qt. it's usually hard to find locally.

I am using an additive sold by Centramatic, you know the onboard wheel balancer manufacturer. http://www.centramatic.com/fuel-additive.rhtml
yes, its expensive. but for my 5.6 mpg truck it only adds $.04 per gal to the cost of fuel.
and i don't have to change my fuel filter every week.
They will ship it to you. and shipping is free if you're an OOIDA member.
I think this additive is the least expensive way to go. it is more concentrated. 2.5 gals treats 4000 gals of fuel.

If it is an actual asphaltine problem and not algae. It will mean a continual use of an additive because your fuel system constantly makes asphaltine.
If your engine oil is black and you are getting oil in your fuel, the fuel in your tank will be black.
replyreply
How much is the cost of your filter? I pick my 5 micron primary filter up on ebay for $11 a piece and changing it takes me 10 min. maximum. Its currently plugging up every other week or a little longer because of asphaltene thats roughly 6-7 tanks of fuel or 1440-1680 gallons. So if I do the math for 4000 gal. thats 3 filter changes and 30 min of work and $33. You Centramatic additive is $206... I think I'll stick to filtering out the asphaltene
replyreply
 Thanks given by: overshot , Rawze
(04-29-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  So I was on FB earlier ...

That is your problem #1 above any other issues you have, you are litening to the crap on social media.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid20194

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Different engine all together but on my 60 series I had the same issue, right after I changed my fuel filter..... it would turn black instantly.

I finally had a injector give out in December and after I swapped it out, my problems cleared right up. Doesn't matter how long my filter is in there, it doesn't turn black.

My 871 davco filter doesn't turn black either but I have seen others who do.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: overshot
(04-28-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Okay so when you drain the tanks what do you clean them with? I'm still thinking of ways to cleaning it properly. I've got a idea to disconnect the fuel lines, drain the tanks, fill them with water, get a cement mixer, hook it up with a drill and do that couple of times. Till it's clean enough. Sound like a good idea to you?

Why in the world would you introduce water into your fuel system at any time? Water is your enemy!! The algae live in water and feed on fuel. If you get the test back positive for algae then drain the tanks as best you can. I usually take them off or park the truck on a hill close to the aluminum welder and drill a hole in the bottom corner of the tank and get every drop out I can and let it dry if possible to kill as much as I can. Weld the hole back up and then have a pile of filters on hand. Throw a quarter tank of fuel in at 1st and give it a strong treatment of algaecide and run the truck cycling thru filters as necessary till no more algae is present. Testing to confirm.
Your filter looks like asphaltene. Dont get excited unless you're getting very rapid filter plugging.
replyreply
(04-29-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(04-28-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Okay so when you drain the tanks what do you clean them with? I'm still thinking of ways to cleaning it properly. I've got a idea to disconnect the fuel lines, drain the tanks, fill them with water, get a cement mixer, hook it up with a drill and do that couple of times. Till it's clean enough. Sound like a good idea to you?

Why in the world would you introduce water into your fuel system at any time? Water is your enemy!! The algae live in water and feed on fuel. If you get the test back positive for algae then drain the tanks as best you can. I usually take them off or park the truck on a hill close to the aluminum welder and drill a hole in the bottom corner of the tank and get every drop out I can and let it dry if possible to kill as much as I can. Weld the hole back up and then have a pile of filters on hand. Throw a quarter tank of fuel in at 1st and give it a strong treatment of algaecide and run the truck cycling thru filters as necessary till no more algae is present. Testing to confirm.
Your filter looks like asphaltene. Dont get excited unless you're getting very rapid filter plugging.

im going to have to put that idea of for a lil while.... for now im going to have to wait for the tanks to get low. ive got full tanks.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.