What would cause black oil in a tuned engine
04-30-2018, (Subject: What would cause black oil in a tuned engine ) 
RE: What would cause black oil in a tuned engine
(04-30-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(04-29-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-29-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Do you have a bypass filter on it? My new long block turns oil black around 10,000 miles with a MommaBurt tune and without a bypass filter. I have to sample this one cause i think it turned black a little fast. But this was also the first time I used gear lube in it. And I'm at 45,000 on it so 1st overhead adjustments are about due.

That sounds about right for one if it is much more than 450hp or so.

Mine stays light brown so long because I am a hypermiler and have the engine set for max fuel economy at the expense of more power. I also keep everything in very good shape for it too. A higher hp engine (485+ hp or more) set to burn the fuel too cleanly can actually be kinda risky.
I dont wanna hijack.

MommaBurt has it set at 450hp. The original cal for a 435ST CM870 engine. We were talking about advancing the timing on it. He said it looked slightly retarded. I have no need for more power and fuel mileage is the goal. Will advancing timing affect fuel consumption and possibly clean up the fuel burn? Which inturn will keep my oil clean longer?

Yes it should. Also part of the oil color is the fact that you have an 870. The VGT control is t as precise with their air actuated turbo compared to the electronic VGT of the 871 & later.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , overshot

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would cause black oil in a tuned engine - Hammerhead - 04-30-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.