Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube
05-01-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube
I've got a small air leak coming out between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust back-pressure sensor tube. The stainless steel tube was somewhat melted into the exhaust manifold first time I took it off to clean it. Ive never been able to get the tube tight enough in the manifold to not have air leak out of there. The way I see it I've got four options:

1. Install complete new exhaust manifold.
2. Install used manifold.
3. Drill out the hole and install some sort of threaded insert.
4. Change out only the elbow of the exhaust manifold.

My first option would be to change out only a part of the exhaust manifold with a new part. Wanted some advice if anyone has tried this and if it's difficult. Can the front elbow on the exhaust manifold be removed and replaced without the entire manifold being taken off the head?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
05-02-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
RE: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube
Change the end section of the manifold & if the threads are rough on the tube change that too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver
05-02-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
(05-01-2018 )Bahdan Wrote:  <snip>
Wanted some advice if anyone has tried this and if it's difficult. Can the front elbow on the exhaust manifold be removed and replaced without the entire manifold being taken off the head?

I'm not sure if this would be doable with the manifold mounted.
If the manifold has been on the motor for any reasonable amount of time, at least on mine, it required a lot of effort to separate the sections.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
08-21-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
Had a brand new exhaust manifold installed a few weeks ago since the section with the tube had no threads left. Cummins updated the exhaust manifold so i had a shop put in a complete new set. My one little problem im having is that ive got a very loud audible leak anything over 10psi coming from the slip joints on the new manifold. Everything was bew but this suckers leaks too much in my opinion. Ive talked to the shop that did the work and cummins has told them that i need to run it for a few months or about 50,000 miles so the joints will seal with soot over time. Ive got no other leaks anywhere in the charge or exhaust systems.
Is this normal for these things to leak right away? The manual says in the first paragraph that there should be no leaks. Im not sure if i need to get someone else to look at it or is cummins telling the truth?

https://youtu.be/PFbRY1P44U4
replyreply
There should be no leaks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Hammerhead
Take that directly back to whoever put that on make them fix it until there is absolutely no leaks at their cost and then never come back to them again. They are complete morons.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Hammerhead
(08-21-2018 )Bahdan Wrote:  Had a brand new exhaust manifold installed a few weeks ago since the section with the tube had no threads left. Cummins updated the exhaust manifold so i had a shop put in a complete new set. My one little problem im having is that ive got a very loud audible leak anything over 10psi coming from the slip joints on the new manifold. Everything was bew but this suckers leaks too much in my opinion. Ive talked to the shop that did the work and cummins has told them that i need to run it for a few months or about 50,000 miles so the joints will seal with soot over time. Ive got no other leaks anywhere in the charge or exhaust systems.
Is this normal for these things to leak right away? The manual says in the first paragraph that there should be no leaks. Im not sure if i need to get someone else to look at it or is cummins telling the truth?

https://youtu.be/PFbRY1P44U4

they leak like that if someone does not use the correct tool to install them and distorts the gaskets,.. or they put the gasket in backwards,.. both common mistakes.

No, they do not leak one damn bit when installed correctly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Old Driver , Waterloo
That gasket sealing with soot makes a much sense as a leaking exhaust manifold to head sealing with soot over time. In reality they only get worse over time. Sounds to me like they're trying to push you off till it's out of their labor warranty.
replyreply
They’ve tried to fix it once and there was no chsnge in leakage or noise. Ive never taken an exhaust manifold apart but i think me doing it is the only option. I see the tool to install the gasket, is there a more dyi way of installing it or will that destroy it?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.