Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube
08-21-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
RE: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube
(08-21-2018 )Bahdan Wrote:  They’ve tried to fix it once and there was no chsnge in leakage or noise. Ive never taken an exhaust manifold apart but i think me doing it is the only option. I see the tool to install the gasket, is there a more dyi way of installing it or will that destroy it?

Pressure test the whole engine and find the leaks. It may surprise you and could be something else not seen yet.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver
08-22-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
(08-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Pressure test the whole engine and find the leaks. It may surprise you and could be something else not seen yet.
Yes, do this ^^ first...

(08-21-2018 )Bahdan Wrote:  They’ve tried to fix it once and there was no chsnge in leakage or noise. Ive never taken an exhaust manifold apart but i think me doing it is the only option. I see the tool to install the gasket, is there a more dyi way of installing it or will that destroy it?
I used a socket to push the seals into the manifold when I did mine.
I had to change the center section, and nobody had the "U" in stock, so I just used my own end pieces with new gaskets.
I call Bravo Sierra on them, I bladdered my engine soon after I did this and I had NO exhaust manifold leaks. Just bladdered again today looking to solve another potential issue, and STILL no leaks on my exhaust manifold.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver
08-23-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
Not to hijack but is there a part # for this slip joint gasket everyone talks about along with the install tool? I'm looking damn near everywhere and have no luck besides the one that covers the outside which does nothing for me..
replyreply
08-24-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
(08-23-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  Not to hijack but is there a part # for this slip joint gasket everyone talks about along with the install tool? I'm looking damn near everywhere and have no luck besides the one that covers the outside which does nothing for me..

It's in quickserve - I think on servicer side, not parts, that covers the slip joint gasket. Exhaust Seal Installer, Part Number 4918709. Of course it's $300 lol. I didn't pull mine apart, so no real world experience on if it's actually needed...
replyreply
(08-24-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  Not to hijack but is there a part # for this slip joint gasket everyone talks about along with the install tool? I'm looking damn near everywhere and have no luck besides the one that covers the outside which does nothing for me..

It's in quickserve - I think on servicer side, not parts, that covers the slip joint gasket. Exhaust Seal Installer, Part Number 4918709. Of course it's $300 lol. I didn't pull mine apart, so no real world experience on if it's actually needed...
yeah I found the manual on quickserve and it shows the part number for the installer but not the gasket itself which would be useful to those with an cm870 like myself dealing with a slip joint leak. Ended up looking it up with an cm871 esn and found part #3683940
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
Here a question for that gasket. I searches my cm870 ESN 79115692. I came up with 10 pages of exhaust manifolds well over 100 results on quickserve. All of them are for different turbo arrangements. By the time I went down through most of them, I saw that 3683940 # for that gasket. But those manifolds look nothing like the one on my 06 International 9400i. By the time I got 40 or so clicks in I started to see my manifold and it doesn't show that gasket. 1st off how do find the specific turbo arrangement # for the engine and 2nd why doesn't mine show a gasket?

Here is the manifold shown in most pics. The gasket is #7

Notice the 10 pages of results. All with different turbo arrangements.

I finally started to see mine on page 4 but it was not pulled apart. On page 10 I found the same style pulled apart. Notice no gasket...
I   
replyreply
(08-24-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  (snip)...2nd why doesn't mine show a gasket?

Here is the manifold shown in most pics. The gasket is #7

Notice the 10 pages of results. All with different turbo arrangements.

I finally started to see mine on page 4 but it was not pulled apart. On page 10 I found the same style pulled apart. Notice no gasket...
I

Russian hacking...?

Is it possible some don't have a gasket at all? I've dealt with a few manifolds on the automotive side that didn't use any gasket, but called for a graphite anti-seize.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
Mine doesn't have them but the manifold ends have the lip to accommodate the seals which I find stupid that they don't just come standard with the new sections. Edit: for those with the older flat ended manifold sections here's the bulletin # TSB160030
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
08-27-2018, (Subject: Exhaust manifold back pressure sensor tube ) 
Ok, a little update here. I had a little time so i took of the rear section of the exhaust manifold assembly. Like everyone on here said, the joint seal was installed backwards. To top it off they slid the seal into the female section all the way towards the front of the assembly. This caused this gasket to completly not even make contact with the male section of the exhaust manifold.
Once i got the old one out of their I couldn’t believe that a cummins certified shop would be so ignorant on something so simple.

I did not buy the cummins tool to do this job. I ran over to home depot, got myself a 2 inch plastic pipe connector for 2 dollars and pressed the sesl in perfectly. Once I installed that rear section i had no leaks at all. Im going to assume the front section has the same problem. I also checked the bolts on the manifold and they where under torqued.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , marek4792 , Kid Rock , Hammerhead , Waterloo , Chamberpains , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.