Oil in exhaust
05-17-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
If I were you I wouldn't assume anything was done correctly. Start from scratch or it will never be right

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , Waterloo
05-17-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
(05-17-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  ...
what makes you say the head is toast?

some references...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...48#pid7648
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid25447

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-18-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
Anyone see a pattern with dropped liners on cylinder #5? I think the OP head has dropped #5 also from the pictures.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-18-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  Anyone see a pattern with dropped liners on cylinder #5? I think the OP head has dropped #5 also from the pictures.

i'm also noticing a lot of that around even on newer model engines...

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
so i'm sort of pacing around in my head about whats best long term, looking/shopping around for another engine like this one below.

https://www.nexttruckonline.com/search?c...-type=part

my engine has a cpl#8518 tho this one has 475 which is good enough for me.

what are the pro's and con's to this stuff? is this engine worth it for the money? rebuild or a different motor?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
05-19-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
Thats not a bad deal for a used engine with a parts and labor warranty. You can have it shipped in and basically undress the whole thing to make sure you don't have the same problems your dealing with now. If you do find a problem just fix it outside the truck on Vander Haags dime. That is if Vander Haags doesn't pitch a fit or just refuses to stand behind they're warranty... I would also do front gear case gaskets and rear flywheel housing gasket while its out of the truck. They are quite costly and time consuming to do in the truck.

Then you can build your other block another day and sell it or just sell it for core.

If you do buy that used engine your absolutely going to NEED your ECM REFLASHED to the new CPL #. Get ahold of Unilevers or Mommaburt on here. And maybe get rid of your soot monster(egr) at the same time.

It looks like either way you go, used or rebuild yours, your going deeper in void. That's a tough call which way to go.
replyreply
Find out EXACTLY what vanderhags definition of a warranty is so you don't end up with 2 boat anchors instead of 1. Something tells me that if you take the head off and find a dropped liner they aren't going to pay to have all counterbores cut and genuine cummins parts installed.if they will let me know because I need an engine to.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
If they'd just cover the genuine cummins parts/labor to fix a dropped liner I'd pay out of pocket for the counter bore if they wouldn't.
replyreply
(05-19-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Thats not a bad deal for a used engine with a parts and labor warranty. You can have it shipped in and basically undress the whole thing to make sure you don't have the same problems your dealing with now. If you do find a problem just fix it outside the truck on Vander Haags dime. That is if Vander Haags doesn't pitch a fit or just refuses to stand behind they're warranty... I would also do front gear case gaskets and rear flywheel housing gasket while its out of the truck. They are quite costly and time consuming to do in the truck.

Then you can build your other block another day and sell it or just sell it for core.

If you do buy that used engine your absolutely going to NEED your ECM REFLASHED to the new CPL #. Get ahold of Unilevers or Mommaburt on here. And maybe get rid of your soot monster(egr) at the same time.

It looks like either way you go, used or rebuild yours, your going deeper in void. That's a tough call which way to go.

Its very tempting to think about, for 10k more or less its not a bad deal to consider. i saw on those truck stop magazines that there a whole lot of companies that sell these reman engines n for cheap... low miles and all. 6 month guarantee or more depending if you want to fork over a extra grand or 2

the idea of having two engine, one being rebuilt slowly and another being used. i think that would be optimal lol. you dont have to wait as long or waste time.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.