Oil in exhaust
05-03-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
I had something like that happen to me a couple weeks ago.

Climbing a hill on us-19 in WV, I started to notice a slight screech. I was boosting under 20 psi, backed off the fuel and dropped another gear. just as I climbed to the top in 5th, about 15 psi of boost, the turbo let go. Shaft separated, sent the compressor wheel into the housing and destroyed it, and sent the turbine straight down the exhaust. I found it in the can.

I ended up paying $500 for a tow, and bought a new turbo and actuator. I personally removed the CAC and cleaned it out, checked it with a boroscope for metal, cleaned out the air intake, and removed the exhaust and hosed it out clean of all oil deposits. It was a mess. Fortunately I didn't get any oil pushed into the CAC or beyond.

It didn't look that bad until I dropped the exhaust. Crazy thing is, the shaft was tight and it didn't leak a drop up until that point. VG ring was free, it just decided it was time. I would have expected an oil seal failure or another VG ring maybe with a bad turbo, this one broke the shaft and separated with little warning...I'm not one to hammer my equipment either.

All I can say is if that turbo is screeching, just replace it. When I pulled out the turbine, I found the source of my screech...the rear bushing seized to the shaft and came out with it.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
A screeching turbo sound can also simply be a turbo mounting gasket too. have seen that a lot more often that the turbine giving way. If you suspect the turbine, then you will see metal shavings and a chewed up turbine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
You won't have to calibrate your turbo on a CM870 its air actuated. Just make sure all the plumping to it is in tip top shape with no restrictions or pinches.
replyreply
(05-02-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 )Brock Wrote:  You will have to check if the oil is coming from the turbo or not, you can obviously see it's dripping from the flange after the turbo so now you need to take the turbo off and see if there is oil inside your exhaust manifold to determine if you've got engine problems or just turbo problems.

so i'm trying prepare for the worst case scenario, if the turbo has oil in it like an atlantic BP spill.

Then i proceed with getting to the manifold, what should i expect to see? Good and bad?

What is something common that makes the oil gush out the way its done to me?

Thanks brock!

Your probably gonna need a new turbo. Be glad it didn't grenade and send steel and aluminum chunks into your oil pan and CAC.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
This is the back of the turbo, the front of the turbo is pretty clean. I didn't see a drop of oil around it or in the intake. Both of the front and back blades are intact. Nothing was torn apart just oil gushed out from the back end of the turbo. It's raining again... I did manage to do more work then I figured today. This is how far I got.

The exhaust pipes were just covered in oil.

Okay so..... I still have that Baldwin oil filter on the engine. I was going to replace that and do another oil change and fuel filter/water separator filter. Could that Baldwin filter be the reason for my misery?. I also noticed that oil filter housing is connected to turbo and connected to the oil pan.... is something blocking the oil maybe in the oil pan? I might have to take that sucker of to double make sure.

Any ways guys thanks n keep trucking.

I

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(05-03-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  A screeching turbo sound can also simply be a turbo mounting gasket too. have seen that a lot more often that the turbine giving way. If you suspect the turbine, then you will see metal shavings and a chewed up turbine.

The turbo mounting gasket is on the bottom that is connected to the oil filter housing and that is connected to the oil pan?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(05-03-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  A screeching turbo sound can also simply be a turbo mounting gasket too. have seen that a lot more often that the turbine giving way. If you suspect the turbine, then you will see metal shavings and a chewed up turbine.

so nvm, i think i found the turbo mounting gasket. " its the one that is mounted to the exhaust manifold". i think it might be that turbo gasket because, if you check out the pictures the way way the oil came out above turbo mounting gasket and onto the sides of the manifold it probably did go out. so i'm sure the gasket flying into the manifold? well ill go back to working on the truck 2marrow morning.

replyreply
Like I said.... you need a new turbo.you can't fix the turbo yourself.What Rawze was referring to doesn't apply to your situation.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
On an old engine, it could also be a bad valve guide seal?. Only way to tell for sure is to see if you have heavy amount of oil in exhaust ports on head after turbo and exhaust manifold is removed.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.