Oil in exhaust
05-07-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
(05-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Well I can say your definitely gonna need more tools and better tools from here on out. Your looking at a full inframe at best. You stated you have broken piston rings on cylinder #5 which definitely ruined the cylinder liner. You never replace just 1 cylinder liner and piston pack. Thats the reason for the full inframe. If you don't know what your looking at then your truely gonna want someone that knows what they're doing and knows what they're looking at to be with you on the next decisions as you tear deeper into this. You can do the work but you need experienced eyes to catch things and do things properly.

The only thing I'm worried about is what the infram is going to cost me?? Can you guys give me a ball park rang? On cm870. The guy that's helping me, that's all they do is rebuilds, inframs so on so forth. I trust him enough to guide me along this process.

This truck suppssibly had a overhaul done on it not even a year ago. Can this go wrong after a fresh overhaul?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
05-07-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
Can this go wrong with a fresh overhaul? LOL! Yes.

See my blog, Helping Waterloo in frame his truck. I’m in my 5th week at Rawze’s House in his front yard. Made it two years almost to the day on my last in frame. More to this than you know, go to the video section at the top of the page, 50+ videos step by step on in framing an ISX. Good luck. And you will need a few more tools. This is not an alternator change. Watch the section on replacing the head. As far as price, figure $15,000 to $20,000 minimum when all is said and done. Much will depend on the head, do not replace with a reman, new only.
replyreply
05-08-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
(05-07-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Can this go wrong with a fresh overhaul? LOL! Yes.

See my blog, Helping Waterloo in frame his truck. I’m in my 5th week at Rawze’s House in his front yard. Made it two years almost to the day on my last in frame. More to this than you know, go to the video section at the top of the page, 50+ videos step by step on in framing an ISX. Good luck. And you will need a few more tools. This is not an alternator change. Watch the section on replacing the head. As far as price, figure $15,000 to $20,000 minimum when all is said and done. Much will depend on the head, do not replace with a reman, new only.

I've been keeping up with you bud. I feel the same as you do at this point but not to the full extent of the f$%k up. I'm really just disappointed at the timing of it all, I didn't have much time to prepare for much. I was supposed to pay of my lease to the truck but this happens. Just terrible timing that's all.

Well I'm going to call it a night, I'm going to go prepare for 2marrowa tear down.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
(05-08-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  
(05-07-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Can this go wrong with a fresh overhaul? LOL! Yes.

I've been keeping up with you bud. I feel the same as you do at this point but not to the full extent of the f$%k up. I'm really just disappointed at the timing of it all, I didn't have much time to prepare for much. I was supposed to pay of my lease to the truck but this happens. Just terrible timing that's all.

Well I'm going to call it a night, I'm going to go prepare for 2marrowa tear down.

It sucks, and it never happens at a “good” time. I wish I had something better to say. Been down this road twice, and would not wish this on anyone.
replyreply
You can do a inframe on a pretty good budget if you need too. If your heads good, you can reuse it or send it to a head shop for a quick redo for way cheaper then a reman.

If your injectors are good then don't do them, as for cylinder kits.... ipd or federal mogul make some real good kits at way less than oem pricing.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900
The whole key to steering as far away from a repeat of both Waterloo and your own situation is to evaluate everything and make the right decision not the easy or cheap one. There are WAY to many guys that have been in the business doing things wrong the entire time. Listening to those people will come back around and bite you later or just plain haunt you because you aren't confident with them. There's no guarantee that even if you follow the book and buy the best parts that something won't go wrong. But the name of the game is to minimize that possibility. While you have the chance and have it apart take the time to do EVERYTHING right. Even if it cost you more time and money. it will pay you back in less thought of it, usually better warranty, and longevity of holding together. There are a lot of guidelines on this site of the correct way and the correct parts to buy. It's in your best interest to follow them and bite the bullet on the price of them. This is one of the only true websites and conglomeration of people that are willing to help and give good sound advise and the site is created and backed by a man that proves himself to be honest and highly intelligent and not self serving. So try your best to listen to the advise on this site. It hasn't steered me wrong since I found my way here.

Keep us posted on any decisions that you're confronted with. A lot of us know multiple good ways to do something and that only comes from doing something the wrong way too many times and knowing not to repeat it. We don't like to see others making the same mistakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pd6cas2 , snailexpress , Brock , gatow900 , Waterloo
So today got the oil pan down and looked under the liner. Here is the pic.

Just one of the liners cracked, so I'll just be replacing the on me that cracked. Now im going to be taking the radiator apart.

So that's good news one and two is I won't be putting most of it together because it's easier n faster for the mechanics to do vs explaining it to me.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
That is good news.

2 questions..... Are you only replacing the cracked liner and piston pack? And whats the name and location of the shop that's telling you that's a good course of action?
replyreply
(05-08-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  So today got the oil pan down and looked under the liner. Here is the pic.

Just one of the liners cracked, so I'll just be replacing the on me that cracked. Now im going to be taking the radiator apart.

So that's good news one and two is I won't be putting most of it together because it's easier n faster for the mechanics to do vs explaining it to me.
I can't see the liner well enough to know if it has a crack in it. You sure your not seeing a casting mark on the block? That's what I see. If you do have a liner problem you can't just replace one. You have to cut counterbores and shim ALL the liners to the same height or I'm pretty sure you'll either drop a liner or blow a head gasket very very quickly, resulting in doing all the work your doing now over AGAIN.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Waterloo , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.