Oil in exhaust
05-08-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
Spoke to him on the phone...

He is on the fence on it because it is a truck he runs inter-model locally with and don't want to pour big $$$ into as it gets beat up pretty good any ways.

Seems he was sold a truck with the notion it had a good re-man but looks he is learning the hard way that someone cut some serious corners with it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo
05-09-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
This is a shame and makes me sick. Thats really good of you to reach out to this guy Rawze. My hats off to you.

Evo, I have a friend of mine that runs 40 trucks Intermodal. He keeps them within the hundred air miles. I don't condone nor would I ever run a truck the way he does, Its very unsafe and a hard way to make a living, but he does get away with some really shady and rather crappy repairs and maintenance. Because he can tow them home really easily. It's just a suggestion to get your money back out of this piece of crap, but fix everything that NEEDS fixed. Run it very very lightly for a few months to get your money back out of it. Then immediately get out of that truck and part it out to make profit or set it aside and use it for parts.
replyreply
That's horse crap! Intermodel.... Come on, I did that on my days off from the oilfield!

I run oilfield trucks that get beat to crap and they are all in immaculate mechanical condition at all times, the fact that you run intermodel means nothing as to how you should or could keep your truck..... If times are tough and you need to half ass it, that I can understand but saying it's because of the job you do.... That's just silly.

Rawze is the absolute extreme, he preaches nothing but the best or nothing at all...... Which is what gives the rest of us something to strive towards but we all know that life sometimes gets in the way of what we really want and even rawze understands that... He doesn't agree with it because a good business person plans for these things but he understands most of us aren't good business people at first.

There are options for you to build a good engine on a budget and I promise you with the group of guys out here willing to help, you could have the intermodel King of the road!

My favorite thing out here is watching guys lose thier mind over how much fuel I use compared to them or wondering how my engine sounds so good for being so old..... It's sure as heck not from me being smart, it's from this forum and it's amazing members saving my butt when I was down in the gutter!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55 , schISM
thanks rawze for calling last night, i'm now a little more calm about this whole situation.

i had no intention of this truck being a " intermodal/local" beater. sure the body wasnt all beat up just some rust around it. cant help rust but w.e. the engine is a entirely different story at this point. i was told the engine had about 17k in it from the previous owner, that is why i asked how/if the rings broke not even a year later on the build. if it were me, i would have put better or OEM parts on it. I like this cummins CM870, no dpf filter and no other crap other then EGR.

So after i fix it, i hope i can go 6 months-1yr on it n start saving towards another truck. ill keep this one as a shell until i can get my hands on another CM870. or ill just put another lower millege engine in after words, i'm sure i can find a decent CM870 engine in the states for under 15k.

The states have a horrible market/culture for buying/selling trucks. i know other truckers who got newer trucks, thinking they are better of when in most cases they weren't. only to find them self's in another shi#t hole situation and pouring money into it. nobody should have to be put trough all of this, its unfair and down right wrong. i dont blame the owner one bit, not mad at him or hold anything negative towards him. i wish him nothing the best down the road.

anyways im hoping the rain wont be heavy or it will clear today so i can finish taking the radiator of today and continue as usual. i'm going to make this work in the end. lol not giving up that easy.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
Brock, I'm not sure who you're yelling at or why. If it's me then I was simply trying to give this guy an option to work his way out from under this truck. There are many better options. And reading his last post sounds like he's choosing one of them. Good for him. I'm happy to see that. It's just a really bad situation to be riding on potentially a ticking time bomb. With the next thing that goes wrong could result in a tow bill straight to the junkyard and he's out all the money he paid for it before he gets a chance to even make any money with it.

If you're hollering about my friend that runs his shitty Intermodal business then by all means I'll p.m. you his number I'd love to see him get all his junk off the road. But I can tell you it's going to be a hard sell because he makes way too much money running that operation the way he does.

As far as running Intermodal, I believe I read in this post or one of Evo's earlier posts that he wanted to or is running Intermodal with this truck. I could be wrong, it was a very long day yesterday. Either way there's money in running Intermodal plus having home time. It's just not my cup of tea.
replyreply
(05-09-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Brock, I'm not sure who you're yelling at or why. If it's me then I was simply trying to give this guy an option to work his way out from under this truck. There are many better options. And reading his last post sounds like he's choosing one of them. Good for him. I'm happy to see that. It's just a really bad situation to be riding on potentially a ticking time bomb. With the next thing that goes wrong could result in a tow bill straight to the junkyard and he's out all the money he paid for it before he gets a chance to even make any money with it.

If you're hollering about my friend that runs his shitty Intermodal business then by all means I'll p.m. you his number I'd love to see him get all his junk off the road. But I can tell you it's going to be a hard sell because he makes way too much money running that operation the way he does.

As far as running Intermodal, I believe I read in this post or one of Evo's earlier posts that he wanted to or is running Intermodal with this truck. I could be wrong, it was a very long day yesterday. Either way there's money in running Intermodal plus having home time. It's just not my cup of tea.

The money isn't bad, you can make an easy 2k or 4k if working hard a week after all expenses. I'm not sure what O/O OTR drivers are making now after all expenses but I hear I'm it's not that big of a difference. Depending on expenses that is.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(05-09-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Brock, I'm not sure who you're yelling at or why. If it's me then I was simply trying to give this guy an option to work his way out from under this truck. There are many better options. And reading his last post sounds like he's choosing one of them. Good for him. I'm happy to see that. It's just a really bad situation to be riding on potentially a ticking time bomb. With the next thing that goes wrong could result in a tow bill straight to the junkyard and he's out all the money he paid for it before he gets a chance to even make any money with it.

My comment had nothing to do with you or your friend who isn't a part of this current conversation. It was directed towards evo solely.

My intention is not yelling at anyone, just to tell him that just because he beats his truck up doesn't mean it's not worth doing the job right, he would benefit financially by doing it proper rather then just fixing the one cylinder kit.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , snailexpress
Brock, it was your use of exclamation marks that made it look like you were yelling. I don't think he ever said he beats his equipment. Nor did he ever say he neglected it. I believe he just bought this truck and right out the gate he's having horrible problems. Between his initial fuel problem a month or so back and now a cylinder failure. This is a bad start to owning a truck. But like I said before I like his ambition.

Evo you are correct in the money not being too terribly different after expenses. Intermodal and local work has a tendency to beat your equipment up more because you're in parking lots, city traffic, railheads and ports, drop and hooking a lot. All high-risk stuff to get bumps and bruises on the truck. Fuel mileage suffers, tires get abused more, suspensions get beat up from city streets and curbs. OTR has a lot less exposure to this on a daily basis. But you're living out on the road so living expenses get higher. For me personally the stress gets a lot lower when I'm OTR. I find local work has me grinding my teeth and exhausted by the end of every day because the stress never lets up. I only know it as a constant Hustle.
If you're thinking of going OTR someday I believe this truck that you have now is not the one you want to take out. I see they also put in a used rear end in it with the engine rebuild. Who knows how many other parts on that have been scavenged off of junk trucks. You don't want to be far away from home when the failures start.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
So what are you gonna do evo? Do you have the money for a full inframe?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.