Oil in exhaust
05-09-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
(05-09-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Brock, it was your use of exclamation marks that made it look like you were yelling. I don't think he ever said he beats his equipment. Nor did he ever say he neglected it. I believe he just bought this truck and right out the gate he's having horrible problems. Between his initial fuel problem a month or so back and now a cylinder failure. This is a bad start to owning a truck. But like I said before I like his ambition.

Evo you are correct in the money not being too terribly different after expenses. Intermodal and local work has a tendency to beat your equipment up more because you're in parking lots, city traffic, railheads and ports, drop and hooking a lot. All high-risk stuff to get bumps and bruises on the truck. Fuel mileage suffers, tires get abused more, suspensions get beat up from city streets and curbs. OTR has a lot less exposure to this on a daily basis. But you're living out on the road so living expenses get higher. For me personally the stress gets a lot lower when I'm OTR. I find local work has me grinding my teeth and exhausted by the end of every day because the stress never lets up. I only know it as a constant Hustle.
If you're thinking of going OTR someday I believe this truck that you have now is not the one you want to take out. I see they also put in a used rear end in it with the engine rebuild. Who knows how many other parts on that have been scavenged off of junk trucks. You don't want to be far away from home when the failures start.

you are definitely right about all that you have said. that is why im extra careful and vigilant on not getting the truck getting beat up by the extras. i avoid certain streets unless i have to, i dont work hard but smarter. my work ethic talks for me :D. the rear end does have issues that ive noticed with the truck. i just need 6 months to be able to get it back in the shop n check the dmg. righ now one thing at a time, as far as the future of this truck. dont wanna jinx my self, so i rather not say nothing yet lol.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(05-09-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  So what are you gonna do evo? Do you have the money for a full inframe?

for a full complete infram no. if i did, i would have let the mechanics do there jobs.but if i did have that much would have gotten another truck vs this one.

the shop i'm at currently, thats all they do is inframes. there is no way this guy would be in business this long if he had a terrible rep around my city. i haven't heard anything bad about this guys skills as a mechanic.

again when i had that fuel problem on this truck, i thought it was to much work for my self to do. now im not so concerned about having to take the IFSM of again or w.e. my gear pump went out n i went to this shop n they fixed it. could have saved my self some $$ n headache if i just dug in n went to town with it. i'm on my 3 day of disassembling it, maybe 2marrow ill take the head of n in the shop it goes.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
as bad as this is for me and how unfortunate i am currently, im getting so much more from all of this then money could buy" maybe money could buy me out of this situation but not the point im trying to make". sure i'm a dirt ball under the truck cursing every 15 minutes because something doesn't wanna play ball and come of. From 3 days of stretching, i got my neck and shoulders all twisted up, which is fine. i've got some many battle scars lol idgf. i don't flinch at the cuts anymore. i appreciate a nice good shower, cleaning all the oil n grease of its nuts!, im not used to it.

out of the dozens of trucks that are getting work done on it, im not waiting in line for the shop to get to it. im working at my own pace, slowly but surely ill get back to making money. the mechanic keeps telling me ill be surprised with all the money ill save by doing it my self " 90% of it " the other 10% im going to be doing it also but they are going to be guiding me along step by step. right now they are just telling me what to pull of n what not and how.

i dont mean for this to be long but im lucky as ive mentioned before that im able to work at his shop and borrow w.e tool i need. i got some pain from the auto parts store, the high temp ones. by the time im done putting everything back together. its going to look like a new engine " paint wise lol ".

replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
Rawze did point out a lobe or 2 on one of your cams that looked like they were beginning to wear. And once they start they only get worse rapidly. You're going to want to give that head and overhead a serious looking at. Especially if it came off a used vehicle. There's no telling how many miles or hours of service it has on it.
replyreply
Evo, make SURE they prelube the bearings! We used Permatex Ultra Slick, the local auto parts stores sell it. Make sure you or they use that on the bearing contact surfaces! And make sure that Loc Tite 609 is used on the camshaft ends if they or you remove the cam gears!

I’ll say one thing, you really will need to replace all of the liners and have the block machined/cut. If you don’t do that, you are honestly looking at a 70,000 mile motor OR LESS, before it takes out your head.

Watch Rawze’s videos on the inframe. Seriously, he covers it all. Do that, and even with non OEM parts you should have a decent chance. Just be careful on the pistons and rods with non OEM, as they do not mark where the rod and piston position. Cummins has markings in regards to how everything is assembled, non OEM does not. Watch your p’s and q’s! And good luck!
replyreply
05-10-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
(05-09-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  So what are you gonna do evo? Do you have the money for a full inframe?

for a full complete infram no. if i did, i would have let the mechanics do there jobs.but if i did have that much would have gotten another truck vs this one.

the shop i'm at currently, thats all they do is inframes. there is no way this guy would be in business this long if he had a terrible rep around my city. i haven't heard anything bad about this guys skills as a mechanic.

again when i had that fuel problem on this truck, i thought it was to much work for my self to do. now im not so concerned about having to take the IFSM of again or w.e. my gear pump went out n i went to this shop n they fixed it. could have saved my self some $$ n headache if i just dug in n went to town with it. i'm on my 3 day of disassembling it, maybe 2marrow ill take the head of n in the shop it goes.

oh man you will regret about this decision.
Make simple calculation. To do full inframe or just one cylinder you have the same labor. Mr. Haag can say exactly the price for labor and parts. You saving now 1-2 thousand and you will pay later 5for same job to change the rest. What a point?
Replacing only one cylinder is good if truck is going for sale to the next happy O/O
I know it because four years ago I did the same stupid things.
Would you
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Evo, if you go back and read this entire post, your gonna see at least 5-6 guys are strongly suggesting you bite the expense and have the counter bores cut and the liners shimmed to + .014 and REPLACE ALL 6 CYLINDERS. You have it apart and are at an engine shop this can be done really inexpensive and only a little extra time. Snailexpress is correct. You run a very strong possibility of it having another failure before you even make it to your 6-12 month mark because of mismatched cylinders and uneven cylinder pressures. Its understandable you dont want to dump a pile of money into this truck knowing what you know now. But if your gonna go cheap with parts, at least do the job right.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
so all day today, ive had a gut feeling that i should go with OEM infram kit.

every time i havent listened to it, ive had to regret it later on.

i called cummins this morning to see what the price would be since, "PAI in-frame kit" would be $2675, okay thats not bad. but if it has the same kit in the engine as this one. i dont really want it for that price, if it was 500$ sure why the hell not. 2marrow im pulling the head off and getting to it, cummins needs the liner # or something of that nature to be sure hes getting me the right quote. I asked for a rough estamate, he said 5k-6k.... yikes.... man damn lol. how do some of you guys eat!?... " a joke ". you guys are right, its better long term to this damn job once.... i was outside in the scorching sun for hours.... im 3 shades darker...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Volvo8873
Just a suggestion , you should check out IPD kits. Pm Unilevers he can give you all the info on them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.