Recommended engine break-in procedures???
05-04-2018, (Subject: Recommended engine break-in procedures??? ) 
Recommended engine break-in procedures???
Finishing up overhaul on cm870. Would like to know how you guys brea-in your engines. Are wix filters and rotella still king around here or has the consensus changed? Driving style during break-in? Do’s and don’ts ? First oil change interval? And anything else please chime in!
replyreply
RE: Recommended engine break-in procedures???
Register your engine with Cummins quick-serve. Go to service manuals signature, ISX, QSX15 service manual then scroll down to Section 14 "Engine Testing" then "Engine run-in(without dynamometer)

You'll find full Cummins guidelines. Its really simple.

As far as the oil change. I left mine in for 2000 miles the 1st time and 5000 for the 2nd. I couldn't find a cummins guideline for 1st oil change. But mine was a Cummins reman long block so I assumed they had a cleaner build process.
I also sampled the oil both times to ensure number dropped to normal from the crazy high levels of all metals on the 1st. Probably a stupid test but I wanted to see what a fresh engine, oil sample looked like. And I only use Fleetguaurd filter on the entire engine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: chuy
RE: Recommended engine break-in procedures???
Cummins has a break in oil you can buy, it's red in color like atf.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , chuy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.