Cam Bearings, Rebuilders Please Advise!!!
05-04-2018, (Subject: Cam Bearings, Rebuilders Please Advise!!! ) 
RE: Cam Bearings, Rebuilders Please Advise!!!
(05-04-2018 )Pramantha Wrote:  Well yeah Rawze but where is the fun in that?! If you're always doing everything the right way all the time then there is like no room for improvement. I mean, operating at 100%, where are you gonna go from there? Nowhere. See? Whereas me, I've got this whole big adventure ahead of me, just moving on up all the time and there you are, just stagnant at 100%. :big_smile2:

Try telling that to the dozens of ppl I have met with re-man and flea-bay heads that had to pull them off in a couple hundred thousand miles because they failed. -- I am not even about to reply on such ignorance. Take that crap back to TTR where it belongs.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pramantha
05-04-2018, (Subject: Cam Bearings, Rebuilders Please Advise!!! ) 
(05-04-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Try telling that to the dozens of ppl I have met with re-man and flea-bay heads that had to pull them off in a couple hundred thousand miles because they failed. -- I am not even about to reply on such ignorance. Take that crap back to TTR where it belongs.

I know, I know. I had great results with other non-oem new heads in the past and these guys had very good reviews so I thought I would give them a shot. What is TTR?
replyreply
05-05-2018, (Subject: Cam Bearings, Rebuilders Please Advise!!! ) 
Looked at about 5 or 6 heads today. Some new, some several years old and origional. The only holes that do not 100% align in a factory head are the one bearing in the front intake side for the injector cam, and the one in the very back of the head for the valve cam. The injector cam bearing mis-alignment is average about 1/3 blocked, 2/3 open. The valve cam mis-alignment is about 50/50 on most with an extreme or 2/3 blocked on one very old head.

The photos you posted are much worse than this. I would be Leary to run it like that considering you could have severe cam issues down the road.

./uploads/201805/post_2_1525513334_4086ab0b1e62f6a64e8f2c81be242db4.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pramantha , Waterloo
Many thanks Rawze, clear and concise as always. It was the videos that made me even think to check so double thanks for everything!

Also another question if you see this, I know the videos showed the air intake large port plug is usually not supplied but do new heads come with new fuel port ends (the three front and rear, and the dowel pins on the intake? This head did not and the old dowels look pretty difficult to remove unmangled, if that is even a good idea...
replyreply
I wouldn't run it like that. When I replaced my cam bearings after my cam went flat, I drove in a new set to get me along long enough to get to inframe time. I also took note of the misalignment from my Cummins head, which was definitely better than that.

I have seen alot of shops just knock em in...not taking the time to verify alignment with both the oil passage and to ensure it's centered over the oil hole. Alot of times, they use cheaper bearings too. You can bet when I did that they were properly indexed and driven to the correct depth.

If shops would verify alignment and if needed open the hole somewhat before driving them in, you wouldn't have a head that will likely be problematic. If they skimped on something that simple, what else did they skimped on that was even more critical? Did they ream the guides to the correct size? Ensure the proper open/closed heights? Do they x-ray a random head to verify casting integrity? Probably not.

I wouldn't have any confidence in it. I'd go get a new oem head.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
That is a non OEM or reman head? Return it, I was tired last night, thought it was the same thing going on in my new head at the ends. Only NEW OEM heads on an ISX. Listen to Rawze. Bad Waterloo, he knows better...
replyreply
(05-04-2018 )Pramantha Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I'ts called "jumping over a dollar to save a dime". -- Go with certified OEM or pay the price later on. - I would not put ANYTHING I got off fleee-bay inside my engine!.

Well yeah Rawze but where is the fun in that?! If you're always doing everything the right way all the time then there is like no room for improvement. I mean, operating at 100%, where are you gonna go from there? Nowhere. See? Whereas me, I've got this whole big adventure ahead of me, just moving on up all the time and there you are, just stagnant at 100%. :big_smile2:
Ha ha ha

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(05-05-2018 )Pramantha Wrote:  Also another question if you see this, I know the videos showed the air intake large port plug is usually not supplied but do new heads come with new fuel port ends (the three front and rear, and the dowel pins on the intake? This head did not and the old dowels look pretty difficult to remove unmangled, if that is even a good idea...

Those pins come with a new head. i have seen them missing but it is rare.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.