ISX 870 Rebuild/Replace
05-05-2018, (Subject: ISX 870 Rebuild/Replace ) 
ISX 870 Rebuild/Replace
Hi all,

New to the forum and lets just say after reading a ton of posts - should of, could of, would of...:-/ Anyway spun a rod bearing on the#4 cylinder on the ISX and I need to get her back in service.

Little info on the truck:
2007 Peterbilt (dirt hauler)
580000 miles
CP870
CPL8520
EGR Delete (probably done incorrectly; bought it that way)
After factory trap

Due to the good ol' CA I can only get 3.5 more years out of her, but despite that it makes since for me to put her back on the road til then. Given my circumstances - 52k miles a yr avg - is fair to think a Cummins Recon long block would see me through?

Any recommendations outside of my bright ideas would be welcome!

I don't mean to be short sighted but money is time and time is money.

Thx in advance and thank you Rawze for all the insight this place provides.
replyreply
RE: ISX 870 Rebuild/Replace
Im not gonna assume the crank and block are junk. Have you had it looked at? Is an inframe still possible? Over sized bearings?
If your looking at only 3.5 years of service and 200,000 service miles, what do you plan on doing with the truck after you can no longer use it? It will be 15 years old. So is it off to the bone yard because its just whooped? Or will have no resale value? If thats the case you may want to do a used engine search with the ecm with it. Take all the knowledge from here and have the pan, valve and front cover pulled. Inspect everything maybe throw in new main bearings, front and rear main seals, run the over head and check the timing with cam wedges. Pull an oil sample and have it checked. Hook a battery up to it and check the ecm for major abuse or neglect.
A quick ebay search shows a couple of these for $8500 there are other sources too. You might have 2-3 days into a full freshen up and maybe another $1000 in parts. But if everything checks out you should easily have a 200,000 miles engine.

My cummins long block was $19,700.
Do the math for your situation and use the sound knowledge you learned from here. That should guide you in your choices.
replyreply
RE: ISX 870 Rebuild/Replace
But don't re use your ecm unless uni or one of the other trusted guys on here checks your programming

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.