ISX CM871 New Head Or Rebuild Old Head
04-20-2016, (Subject: ISX CM871 New Head Or Rebuild Old Head ) 
RE: ISX CM871 New Head Or Rebuild Old Head
ive never had much luck with the aftermarket rebuilt heads - i find the cups start leaking right away and things go bad from there. I am starting to see some OEM remans that are failing very quickly now due to issues. Two have cracked back by one of the exhaust valve guides on #6 and one was 8 thou warped right outa the box. the ones with the cracked spot were cracked into the # 6 exhaust runner and would dump raw oil like crazy into he exhaust.

These are all recent Cummins remans, before this i hadnt had a issue with them. im only paying 400 bucks more for a brand new head and i havent had a bad one of those yet, but time will tell.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: ISX CM871 New Head Or Rebuild Old Head ) 
(04-20-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  ive never had much luck with the aftermarket rebuilt heads - i find the cups start leaking right away and things go bad from there. I am starting to see some OEM remans that are failing very quickly now due to issues. Two have cracked back by one of the exhaust valve guides on #6 and one was 8 thou warped right outa the box. the ones with the cracked spot were cracked into the # 6 exhaust runner and would dump raw oil like crazy into he exhaust.

These are all recent Cummins remans, before this i hadnt had a issue with them. im only paying 400 bucks more for a brand new head and i havent had a bad one of those yet, but time will tell.

I am thinking that a LOT of reman heads are likely from cores with bad deletes? -- Who knows what catastrophic stresses a lot of those cores suffered before they were remanned!. You would think that a magnaflux, etc. would catch those cracks in the thing,.. but that is not always 100%.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: ISX CM871 New Head Or Rebuild Old Head ) 
(04-21-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-20-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  ive never had much luck with the aftermarket rebuilt heads - i find the cups start leaking right away and things go bad from there. I am starting to see some OEM remans that are failing very quickly now due to issues. Two have cracked back by one of the exhaust valve guides on #6 and one was 8 thou warped right outa the box. the ones with the cracked spot were cracked into the # 6 exhaust runner and would dump raw oil like crazy into he exhaust.

I am thinking that a LOT of reman heads are likely from cores with bad deletes? -- Who knows what catastrophic stresses a lot of those cores suffered before they were remanned!. You would think that a magnaflux, etc. would catch those cracks in the thing,.. but that is not always 100%.

Seems like more than a few shops are doing those bad deletes, I have one where I buy parts from doing them... He has a machine shop to reman these heads... And he does. I ran when I figured out what he was up to when I interviewed them for my in frame.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.