Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15
02-21-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15
Hello

new here have searched several times for the front cover leak, if it has already been covered please post a link

I purchased a 2007 steiger stx 480hd at auction. i believe qsx15 front cover is identical to isx15

the engine had a couple of front engine oil leaks and check engine lights were coming on.

the biggest leak was the filler tube. i called cummins splains to hook up their computer and run the overhead.

the only fault showing was the engine brake cummins disabled that. however the mechanic started removing everything to do the overhead, drained the antifreeze. when the mechanic discovered a bolt from the cac tube had "nearly" worn through the front cover he called and said he wouldnt go any further as the front cover needs replaced.

Cummins said to replace the front cover the tractor must be hauled to their shop and the only estimate they could give me was that it would be over $5,000

mechanic said the engine sounds good but that it has some blowby, he said that is not uncommon for a tractor with nearly 5000hrs and that he discovered a little bit of dust in the air intake tube. i cant see spending possibly $7,000 on this only to have to have a complete rebuild done in a few years.

i paid cummins $1,550 to remove & reinstall parts on top of the motor drain & refill radiator and shut off engine brakes 3.5 hours time.

at that rate i am afraid to put it in their shop.

cummins mechanic said the qsx/isx will develop front cover oil leaks from the owner not keeping the engine washed. he said dirt builds up between the block and front cover, over time this dirt vibrates down warping the front cover. a new cover and keeping the engine clean is the only fix.

my brother is a mechanic and i might have him do the job, cummins mechanic said this job takes over 2k in specialty tools and a mechanic trained to work on a isx

will purchase a shop manual from cummins

questions

1. is there a possible fix for the oil leak without removing the front cover? silicone?

2. what specialty tools are required to remove and replace the front cover?

3. pull complete cams or remove replace gears?
replyreply
RE: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15
If you go to quickserve.cummins.com
You will find the service manual for free
replyreply
They're trying to hose you! Unless the gasket is leaking, patch the hole and get back to farming! Liquid steel or 5 minute epoxy.
If you do need to replace the front cover, let your brother do it.
Ask that "tech" for the part numbers of the tools. Why would anyone pull the cams? Did you wipe a lobe?
5000 hours is low. I have 22k hours 650k miles on my ISX and it still runs strong.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
I have 27000+ hrs, 1019000 miles no oil leaks. Make sure crank case breather is clear, if it has filter drill some holes in it to relieve pressure. I completely gutted mine, taking out all of the element keeping just the outside for the gasket.
replyreply
The only specialty tool you would need is injector cam gear puller.
I bought mine on apexinds.com
replyreply
Wouldn't you also need the cam wedges to get the timing set again?
replyreply
you need injector cam gear puller, cam wedges with crank pin
replyreply
crank pin, cam gear puller, wedges, front seal installer, and the hockey stick for setting the jakes (because i would run another overhead myself)

Honestly its not hard, but if it were just close to rubbing through or had a small hole i would jb weld the thing and rock on. There is very little to no pressure in the cover so all it has to hold back is splash oil.
replyreply
If you have any concern about the jb weld or epoxy coming off inside, and have a good weld shop nearby, take it to them and have them build up the worn area. Just my thoughts.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.