Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15
02-21-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
RE: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15
A 7mm Allen wrench is a great substitute (hockey stick) for the Engine Brake Rocker part of the Overhead Set Adjustment.

(Rawze's Tip)Just make sure to put a zip tie on it and do not cut the extra plastic off of it (easier to find when dropped in oil)
replyreply
02-21-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
I have seen many ISX engines leak between the front cover and the front of the engine block on the intake side of the engine. the leaking oil gets the outside of the engine very wet on the front corner of the engine block, and down behind the air compressor. if it gets bad enough, it will soak the entire front of the engine on that side. I don't know about dirt between the cover and the block, that is a new one on me, but every time I have seen this, it is the injector cam front seal leaking, and not the cover so much. The primary cause of this is excess cam bearing wear that allows it to move and vibrate enough for it to start leaking. Most of the time, when this starts happening, the head is worn enough that it is at high risk for spinning a bearing as well. Combine what you are describing with the fact that the oil fill tube is leaking (and likely the engine brake harness plug too), those are definite signs of excess crank case pressure.

Excess crank case pressure can cause a lot of harm, especially to the turbocharger. It will also lower the overall difference in oil pressure between the positive pressure of the pump, and the now excess pressure of the crank case. this has the same effect as the oil pressure being low by the amount of the excess crank case pressure.

What you describe so far is all the signs in place for the engine needing an overhaul soon. Removing the crank case filter element and drilling holes in its sides, then re-installing it may help to lower crank case pressure, stopping the one problem, but it sounds like to me it may be getting ready to need a new head as well, considering your leak if it is in fact one of the cam face seals that are located behind the gear cover.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: GOT12
08-02-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
Is there a good way to check the bearing wear on the cams? Would an oil test tell you what shape it's in? Any special things to look for with valve cover off besides the burnt metal?
replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
(08-02-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  Is there a good way to check the bearing wear on the cams? Would an oil test tell you what shape it's in? Any special things to look for with valve cover off besides the burnt metal?

The only way is cam(s) out . Oil won't tell you much .
While cover off check the cam lobes , rollers, misaligned(spun) bearings , engine brake rockers clearances (which will tell you how far valves and seats have gone ) , and do overhead . Pretty much this will cover it .
replyreply
08-03-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
(08-02-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  Is there a good way to check the bearing wear on the cams? Would an oil test tell you what shape it's in? Any special things to look for with valve cover off besides the burnt metal?
Depending on the miles/hours on your engine, if over 300,000miles, change the springs in the Jake rocker arms. It will increase the detent holding position leading to better/less wear on the Jake check valves and rocker shaft detent holes in my opinion
I did this due to worn rocker shafts that lead to a "tapping" sound because the detent hole oblonged enough to allow the Jake rocker to come out of the detent position and "bounce/tap" off the cam. I firmly believe had I known to routinely changed these springs I would not have had this issue. I was also amazed at how much it improved my Jake performance, it's a gradual degradation that is not noticeable until you complete this service.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
08-03-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
GOTit12.......From what I read you posted was a rock or something rubbed a hole through the cover. When you say cover are you talking about the inner cover the think alum. one or the otter thin one?

I have in the past used a 3M product that works really great for patching that up things. Its # 05885. It is some really good stuff. The key is to grind the area so that it is free of oil and down to the metal so it will stick. Have had many valve covers that stuff had rubbed through like on the old peterbilts the radiator support would come loose and rub a whole in it. Not the kind of fix you would want to do but if its the inner cover and the truck has high mile Id patch it until you inframe it. THat way you will have it all apart you can replace it at that time.
replyreply
08-04-2016, (Subject: Front cover oil leak, specialty tools needed? qsx15 ) 
(08-03-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  GOTit12.......From what I read you posted was a rock or something rubbed a hole through the cover. When you say cover are you talking about the inner cover the think alum. one or the otter thin one?

I have in the past used a 3M product that works really great for patching that up things. Its # 05885. It is some really good stuff. The key is to grind the area so that it is free of oil and down to the metal so it will stick. Have had many valve covers that stuff had rubbed through like on the old peterbilts the radiator support would come loose and rub a whole in it. Not the kind of fix you would want to do but if its the inner cover and the truck has high mile Id patch it until you inframe it. THat way you will have it all apart you can replace it at that time.

I've used that 3M #05885, and Mr Hagg is right it is a good product! His post is good advise, and that's is what I would do as well.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.