PROSTAR W/MAXFORCE 13 SMOKING & REGEN CONSTANTLY
05-13-2018, (Subject: PROSTAR W/MAXFORCE 13 SMOKING & REGEN CONSTANTLY ) 
PROSTAR W/MAXFORCE 13 SMOKING & REGEN CONSTANTLY
I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen the issues I’m about to discuss on here but I’m new so here we go.
I have a 2014 Prostar with a maxforce 13 engine. I had it for over a year and off the bat it would blowout a light blue and greycolor of smoke. Then I would lose power and eventually the DPF Light will come on. I would pull over and park regen for about 45 minutes. This would happen every 1k to 2k Miles. I asked around and i didn’t get any straight answers or solutions. All I got was they all do it.

This went on for sometime until the engine light came on and I would smell something burning. Like soot. Then the DPF light would come on minutes later. I would always know when this would happen by the sound of the truck. I would hear a sound similar to air passing through pipes at a high rate. Then the soot smell followed by lose of power and the kicker is the smoke. After that the DPF light comes on.

Well a month ago I’m heading to the house to get it checked out and I got a stop engine on my dash. I pulled over to take to look at my engine and there was oil all over the dam place.

I got it towed back home to a shop and they told me the hot side and cool side of the egr coolers were clogged up. Plus some other issues... well thousands of dollars later I got it running. They cleaned the tubes. Replaced the egr valve, changed the turbo oil line feed and some other stuff I can’t remember off the top of my head. Now instead of every 1 to 2 thousand miles till I regen, it’s every 400 Miles and it still smokes. It’s worse when I’m 45000lbs heavy. Now as of today it dropped to 150 Miles then to every 60 Miles I have to regen. It regened 4 times back to back for approx 4 hours twice in the 500 mile span.

I still blow heavy smoke going down the road, i still smell soot, I regen a lot! I mean a lot! And I lose power right before and now the engine light is back on. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with this truck?

Please no sarcasm like light a match to it. I put a lot of money into this truck.
Thanks.
replyreply
RE: PROSTAR W/MAXFORCE 13 SMOKING & REGEN CONSTANTLY
i have a 2012 prostar with maxforce 12.4. im interested to see what people say. Im new to the forum also.
replyreply
Not much you can do to fix a MaxxForce motor, at least I have never heard of anyone actually fixing one. Best bet is to either sell the truck, or keep the truck and install a Cummins. I would look for say an ISX CM-870... BUT, it will be easier to sell the truck and find something with a Cummins.
replyreply
well damn
replyreply
(05-13-2018 )robertedward Wrote:  I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen the issues I’m about to discuss on here but I’m new so here we go.
I have a 2014 Prostar with a maxforce 13 engine. I had it for over a year and off the bat it would blowout a light blue and greycolor of smoke. Then I would lose power and eventually the DPF Light will come on. I would pull over and park regen for about 45 minutes. This would happen every 1k to 2k Miles. I asked around and i didn’t get any straight answers or solutions. All I got was they all do it.

This went on for sometime until the engine light came on and I would smell something burning. Like soot. Then the DPF light would come on minutes later. I would always know when this would happen by the sound of the truck. I would hear a sound similar to air passing through pipes at a high rate. Then the soot smell followed by lose of power and the kicker is the smoke. After that the DPF light comes on.

Well a month ago I’m heading to the house to get it checked out and I got a stop engine on my dash. I pulled over to take to look at my engine and there was oil all over the dam place.

I got it towed back home to a shop and they told me the hot side and cool side of the egr coolers were clogged up. Plus some other issues... well thousands of dollars later I got it running. They cleaned the tubes. Replaced the egr valve, changed the turbo oil line feed and some other stuff I can’t remember off the top of my head. Now instead of every 1 to 2 thousand miles till I regen, it’s every 400 Miles and it still smokes. It’s worse when I’m 45000lbs heavy. Now as of today it dropped to 150 Miles then to every 60 Miles I have to regen. It regened 4 times back to back for approx 4 hours twice in the 500 mile span.

I still blow heavy smoke going down the road, i still smell soot, I regen a lot! I mean a lot! And I lose power right before and now the engine light is back on. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with this truck?

Please no sarcasm like light a match to it. I put a lot of money into this truck.
Thanks.

Did they check you DPF, DOC and SCR. My uneducated self with look there next. I am assuming you use DEF fluid? If so, look up SCR Volcano here on the sight. Sounds like that could be your issue, if not, drop the cans, as it could also be a soot packed and plugged DPF filter. That is the area I would start in.

As far as your motor, this will be a regular occurrence, there is no available fix. The only solution to keep it running is to throw new parts at it on a regular basis, along with regular EGR tuneups. You should have done a bit more research before purchasing. These MaxxForce motors are real lemons. International has been sued and lost over these motors.

We have some awesome engine guys here, but as far as I know these motors are not fixable.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: robertedward
(05-13-2018 )hatchhero Wrote:  well damn

I’m not being a smart ass either, there are thousands upon thousands of these trucks parked all over the country. They are parked because there is no available fix, entire fleets just sitting and rotting. You should have researched your purchase. Like I said, I don’t believe anyone has been successful at getting any reliability out of these motors.
replyreply
I had a 2012 Diamond Renewed MF 13 and the only way I could keep it on the road and out of the shop was because I run Coast to Coast and kept the speed down around 65 and never idled... I still had more than a fair share of problems but I was able to find a dealer to take it on trade and now have a 2015 with ISX

The Faster you run the more soot gets caked up everywhere and to idle is the death sentence for the truck
replyreply
 Thanks given by: robertedward
When I purchased my 2011 prostar with 500k miles on her I was offered a 2013 with 240k miles for the same money. I told the salesman I needed to look at it. Well as soon a I got 200 feet away I stopped and said I'm not interested. He said "But you haven't looked at the truck." To which I replied that maxxforce emblem was all I needed to see.
replyreply
Have you ever had international remove the dpf and doc and bake it? Regens only do so much, every single time you have any kind of emissions issue, you must remove and bake your cans as they get clogged up with soot and ash.

Here's my take: I will bet you case case of Canadian beer (not that American water beer) that your truck is doing very very poor regens.... if at all. If you had a computer hooked up and monitored your temps, I bet they are Having issues getting up to temp to do a proper burn and because of that, you are never actually doing a full regen and therefore just plugging up your dpf more ever time you try.

One of my first posts on this forum was about my HEST light constantly coming on and one if the first things I found when watching the computer during a regen was how poorly it was doing one, I followed rawzes egr tuneup video and did everything and what a night and day difference!

Watch the video, learn what all components are included in your emissions system. I know your in a Maxxforce but they all have very similar sensors I've found and you can get similar results. If you're is scr, you'll just have a additional injector doser to change (which is a maintinance item in your owner manual anyways)

Stop trying to push your truck, you have had the issue since day 1 and instead of fixing the problem, your trying to push it and keep working but you are screwing up your engine man, real bad and you don't even realize it! I bet your exhaust back pressure is very high which will take out your head.... I bet your exhaust temps are high too but you probably don't have a guage to know.

Take a day off with a case of beer and do the items needed, bring your filters in for a proper baking, you'll spend a grand but you'll make that back in fuel savings once that thing actually runs right.

I'm no Maxxforce expert, I'm no mechanic... but if you are feeling stuck and having issues on where to start, just p.m. me and I can give you my number... bounce some ideas around. Maybe I can be of help, maybe not but what I can promise you is that if the damage isn't already done, it will be soon.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , robertedward , hhow55 , gatow900

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.