valve set
05-13-2018, (Subject: valve set ) 
valve set
getting ready to do my first valve adjustment next wkn when i go home ..been watching video n got all my set points off of quick serve.any pointer before the fun begins..this should be fun cents i never done anything like this befor time to put the big boy pants on
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
05-14-2018, (Subject: valve set ) 
RE: valve set
You can drive yourself nuts worrying if the feeler gauge felt right sliding in and out. It's a very large diesel engine. As long as you didn't crank the adjuster down and pinch the feeler guage and have to use pliers to pull it out its not too tight and as long as you feel a little tension pulling it out it's not to loose. Your finger strength is all you need.

If you're a guy that insists on absolute perfection and want to take the time, Hammerhead from this forum had some pretty serious instructions. Maybe he'll chime in or you can search his posts for his setting an overhead instructions.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lonestar16 , Rawze , rrod , barf , Hammerhead , Brock
got to start learning how to do more work on my own truck if i wont to stay im the game..i new there was stuff that needed to be down just never new it was this much
replyreply
If your new to doing your own maintenance. Then get your self a grease gun and keep things lubricated. Checking fluids and greasing things keeps everything properly protected but just as important, it gets your eyes and hands on all the parts of the truck. Grab, shake, bang on, shine a light up in everything on the truck. Get your hands dirty and ruin a couple sets of clothes. They're cheaper to replace than paying anyone to do it for you. You'll learn over time of doing it that everything get beat up and worn out. The sooner you catch them and address problems the longer you can go without doing it in very expensive and usually very uncomfortable places like the side of the road.

If you want to know how much you saved by doing it yourself. Just document what it cost you. Then take the time to call the local stealership and ask them for a quote to do the same thing you just did. You'll probably be quite surprised at the savings. Usually 10's of thousands of $$ a year.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rrod , fargonaz , lonestar16 , Brock
I'm currently rebuilding my motor at a shop, i thought the fuel dampners on my cm870 was to much work.... it wasnt. i took it apart last week and boy. do i wish i did it earlier! would have saved my self a lot money!!! and time.

once you start taking things apart, it doesnt look all that difficult the second n 3rd time around. just take your time and dont over think it and ask questions. even if they might sound dumb on this forum. everyone on here will help you out, trust me :D.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Waterloo , Chamberpains , DSTdriver
growing up i help my father do alot of work on his cars so im not afraid to get my hand dirty n buy all my work clothes from the thrift store so i dont care if they get messed up.i dont like being able to do as much of my owe work my self just so i have a better understanding of what is going on i he shop do chard u and arm n a leg so the saving build up quick..il try do the valve adjustment this wkn in see how that goes ,but ill hold off on the injectors for right no tell i get a better fell for thing..watch one of rawze video n they seam a little bit more then i wont to tackle ..have to crawl befor i can walk...
replyreply
05-15-2018, (Subject: valve set ) 
can any one tell me the best way to get the little cove off were u need to put the tool to hand turn the motor at..mine looks painted in it seam hard as crap to get out...in here a hose coming out of the front of the valve cover that looks to have a little bit of soot build up any clue what that might be from.2350 cuming 285k on motor mandate..i wont to try n start running gear oil to see if that will help any whats the best gear oil to use getting oil change then dong the vale set this wkn...thanks
replyreply
When I did mine it too was hard to get pop off. You just have to be patient and work with it carefully for awhile with a screw driver and some WD40. Chances are at 285K this is the first time the valves have ever been adjusted.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
(05-15-2018 )lonestar16 Wrote:  can any one tell me the best way to get the little cove off were u need to put the tool to hand turn the motor at..mine looks painted in it seam hard as crap to get out...in here a hose coming out of the front of the valve cover that looks to have a little bit of soot build up any clue what that might be from.2350 cuming 285k on motor mandate..i wont to try n start running gear oil to see if that will help any whats the best gear oil to use getting oil change then dong the vale set this wkn...thanks

Look on Cummins Quickserve, log in, go to service, pick your manual for your motor, it will be listed, then go to Cylinder Head, the procedure to do everything, including how and where to bar the motor should be there. I have an 871, we remove the oil fill tube and insert a 3/4" ratchet extension into the front side of the air compressor. Turn clockwise with great big ratchet or breaker bar, the internal gears do the work. Markings are on the damper to get the correct positioning to adjust the valves.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lonestar16

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.