Google Earth
04-10-2016, (Subject: Google Earth ) 
Google Earth
This is probably common knowledge but I've never seen it mentioned here so I thought I would remind folks of just how great this program is.

When going to a new customer, or even a customer I haven't been to for a while I look it up on Google Earth. With the satellite picture you can see how the roads are laid out and with street view you can see what you have to look for when you get there. ie turn right at the Esso, as opposed to looking for a small street sign that you will only see after passing the point of no return in the intersection. I find after doing a street view on the laptop that when I get where I'm going it's like I've been there before and there is no guess work. Many times I can find the docks I need in a shopping mall and the best (sometimes only) way in and out.

Looking back I don't know how I didn't get into way more trouble than I did back in the early days.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
RE: Google Earth
LOL! Getting into trouble! I use Google Earth the way you do too... It has saved my bacon more times than I can recall. I hit some small places, allot of them in residential areas or right on the fringe surrounded by no truck route signs. I have even gone as far as to look closely at the pavement in GE to see the tire marks from the big trucks as to the route in. Truly amazing stuff. Especially when compared to how we used to do it... I remember the days with the atlas and an address. If you wanted directions you had to find a pay phone, and always had a roll of dimes and quarters with you along with your notepad and pencil.

The worst part about all of this technology, I never know where I am at or how I got there! LOL! Just follow that stupid little car on the Garmin... ;-)
replyreply
I use the Satellite View on Google Maps App on Android. Then I can press and hold on a spot on the map and "drop a pin"

The pin can mark a truck entrance driveway, then I turn off Satellite View. I usually use my truck GPS, but the last couple miles I also use Google Maps and navigate to the dropped pin. Rarely miss a turn this way.
replyreply
"Looking back I don't know how I didn't get into way more trouble than I did back in the early days."

You were younger. That's how.

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
I use it alot. I try to get to customers to sleep. So can unload and get back to work. Have used it to look for parking at or near customers. Has saved me from having to endure rush hour traffic to get to places
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.