Terrible Tolls
05-17-2018, (Subject: Terrible Tolls ) 
Terrible Tolls
Im fairly new to trucking and would like to get some feedback on how other truckers handle/naviage the tolls roads. Do you bite the bullet and pay to be on the toll roads or do you take the extra time and fuel to go around. What are your reasoning's as to why you choose to take the dolls or go around and what is your time spent compared to money spent ratio. How much are spending or saving on tolls each week or month? Being from wisconsin I spend a majority of my time in the Midwest and south and south east places like florida,Georgia, texas, etc...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AHMLLC
RE: Terrible Tolls
(05-17-2018 )kenneth worthington isx2350 Wrote:  Im fairly new to trucking and would like to get some feedback on how other truckers handle/naviage the tolls roads. Do you bite the bullet and pay to be on the toll roads or do you take the extra time and fuel to go around. What are your reasoning's as to why you choose to take the dolls or go around and what is your time spent compared to money spent ratio. How much are spending or saving on tolls each week or month? Being from wisconsin I spend a majority of my time in the Midwest and south and south east places like florida,Georgia, texas, etc...

If whoever your driving for is not paying your tolls, or your customers are not reimbursing your toll costs as part of shipping fees, then you are the only one to blame for having to pay them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have had some weeks in the Northeast cost me $800 to $1,000 per week in tolls alone.
There is absolutely no reason you can't charge the customer for the tolls and then pocket them to reimburse yourself for the time and effort to go around them.
It is a convenience to use them most of the time but definitely not necessary. Toll roads were installed long after routes were across the United States and then shortly after, the highway system was put in. Then finally toll roads popped up. So they are an afterthought. You should be able to use the old routes and most highways to get around these toll roads. When a state builds a toll road they try to design them to be a convenience so you use them. But they have priced themselves out of business in almost all states, making it not worth using. Just check your Maps and look for parallel routes and highways to avoid using them. Experience, time and asking other drivers about specific get arounds will teach you what routes you can use, want to use and are willing to use.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
As for reasons why I use a get around I always do the math. I see how many miles out of Route it is and divide that by how many miles per gallon I usually get. That is your physical dollar amount it's going to cost you to go around. Then I see, by usually taking the route once, how much extra time it is to use the get around.
Look at those two numbers and they should tell you whether it's worth the time and money to go around a toll.
replyreply
Thanks for the replies it’s greatly appreciated with useful information . I’m currently leased onto a company that does not do roll reimbursement...Is this a common or uncommon scenario? Would you potentially negotiate till expenses before accepting a load? The company I to does not have a mandatory dispatch.
replyreply
I don't get reimbursed for tolls with the company I lease too. But I always make sure there is more than enough money to cover any potential tolls on any load I accept. I always map every load before I take them and include toll roads if it's the most direct route.

No forced dispatch is kind of an un written rule, or maybe it is written somewhere, because you own the rig so you dictate whether it moves anything.
replyreply
I get reimbursed for all tolls, but I rarely have to pay any. This is because I am provided to the truck the easy pass, pre-pass, toll-pass, sun pass, and all the rest.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I usually negotiate tolls in the rate. I have the same tolls wach week. I paid the tolls in OK, becsuse i save more time, and fuel using the toll rdm
replyreply
the company im lease with charge me 60 a wk flat and it seam like im all ways on the pa turnpike or going across the gw heading up to ny.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.