REAR END
05-17-2018, (Subject: REAR END ) 
REAR END
just had my gear oil change and the front axle was brown n there was a little piece of metal in it what might that be from..have 280 k in first time oil was change ..something i need to start changing better
replyreply
RE: REAR END
You're right on spec for changing your oil in most rear ends. We would need to see a picture of the piece of metal and also know if it's stuck to a magnet or not. There are a lot of possibilities of what it could be.
How big of a piece of metal is it? Is it the size of metal shavings you find in an Etch A Sketch? Fingernail clipping? Whole gear tooth? There are many possibilities.
replyreply
dont have the piece still i should of keep it but dont no how to upload pic..it look like a piece of a finger nail clipping n it did stick to the magnet
replyreply
Without a picture of it, it is almost impossible to definitively say what it could be. There is a lot of moving iron in a rear end. If it was just a single piece of metal like that I would take note of it and not get terribly concerned. But I would go by a cork or another plug that fits your drain plug and your magnetic check plug and begin pulling them out and checking them frequently for a while looking for more pieces of metal. The Cork and the extra plugs are to swap them out real quick so you don't have to drain all the gear lube out while checking them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack , lonestar16
i can do that .i ask the head guy at ta, that did the work in he said it might of been from the break end me from and no to concerned myself to much cause it wasnt a piece of a gear tooth but i wil do the cork thing in keep and close eye on it for the next couple of wks n see how it look...y would one axle oil be much more darker then the other..
replyreply
(05-17-2018 )lonestar16 Wrote:  ...
y would one axle oil be much more darker then the other..

That is normal. All the power runs through it before feeding the rear one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lonestar16 , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.