Belt broke
05-23-2018, (Subject: Belt broke ) 
Belt broke
I have a cummins cm870. Heard a buzzer go off woke me up. Check engine light on shut off truck. Looked and found belt broke. Can i drive it 36 miles to peterbilt to get part.
replyreply
RE: Belt broke
(05-23-2018 )Mav Wrote:  I have a cummins cm870. Heard a buzzer go off woke me up. Check engine light on shut off truck. Looked and found belt broke. Can i drive it 36 miles to peterbilt to get part.
NO. Water pump and fan is out. Uber is cheaper then engine repair.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav , Mrkentee
Make sure none of your pulleys have seized before you go shopping.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav
Thank you. Yep I got a bad one. Spring loaded idler pulley. Does the pulley come off with one screw in the middle.
replyreply
No the tensioner comes off as an assembly costs a few hundred bucks at least.
replyreply
The bearings can be replaced but if the tensioner is a few years old, the spring will be getting weaker so just change the whole thing. 1 bolt is all that holds it. Don't tighten it too much because the alloy hub likes to crack or strip out.
replyreply
Yes, the tensioner and the idler pulley does come off with one Bolt each. Make sure you check all your other pulleys for bearing wear and grinding noises especially the idler pulley. You may even want to pull the idler pulley off and give it a spin in your hand. I found mine had a very slight hitch in it when I had everything apart up front. It was causing the belt to chirp I couldn't see it sticking on the truck. I had to feel it.
replyreply
If you go with a Goodyear or Continental tensioner they're actually under $100. I think I paid 80 for mine.
replyreply
Thank you all. I am stuck at Wal-Mart in front royal va. So I got to get part and get going. That bolt is tight lol. I don't know if I can get it loose. Might need to tap ratchet with hammer. I will hope for the best.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.