Over The Road Versus Local
05-24-2018, (Subject: Over The Road Versus Local ) 
Over The Road Versus Local
What makes more sense to you financially? Going over the road and making 3k after tolls+gas+maintenance or staying local and making 2800?

My close friend doesn't see things from optical but it makes sense to me. What are your thoughts?
replyreply
RE: Over The Road Versus Local
Depends what's important to you, some really enjoy life on the road... There was a time that I did.

Also factor in higher maintenance costs associated with regional hauling.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AHMLLC
Like Brock said, whatever floats your boat. I like staying in the truck and within 150 miles of the house, pretty much work Sunday to Friday, and if real busy, through the weekend. Tired of OTR years ago. The money, it is very good, work smarter, not harder.
replyreply
05-25-2018, (Subject: Over The Road Versus Local ) 
(05-24-2018 )AHMLLC Wrote:  What makes more sense to you financially? Going over the road and making 3k after tolls+gas+maintenance or staying local and making 2800?

My close friend doesn't see things from optical but it makes sense to me. What are your thoughts?

I think your going to get a lot of different answers.I run dedicated florida only 450 miles 5 days a week ,same run drop and hook both ends.I did the over the road 48 states and glad to be done with it the way the industry is going from dot to parking to everything else to have to deal with.But to each there own.Different strokes for different folks.

User's Signature: when things are not going good ,I just want to go sit in a mud puddle and blow bubbles
replyreply
(05-24-2018 )AHMLLC Wrote:  What makes more sense to you financially? Going over the road and making 3k after tolls+gas+maintenance or staying local and making 2800?

Your question is too abstract to answer it effectively. Miles, wear, risk, stress, and about 100+ other influencing things come to mind. there is also the "Family" to consider. Got 3 kids at home and a wife,.. there would be no question that local would have its advantages. It sucks being out on the roads away from your family when it is not absolutely necessary. I'll take a bit less money and be a father to my children any day above them thinking I am that guy who stops by occasionally while the wife sneaks the boyfriend out the back door, her bitching at you that you need to stay out and make even more.

You also never mentioned the long term average over say a year after expenses, down-time and off-time. - No one ever does then wonders why they can't make it work for them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AHMLLC , Moose
I have wondered about that myself, our local market is very good. Pulling an end dump is $110.00 an hour and 10 wheeler is at $95, hauling logs is steadier but its about 95 an hour. I would like to know what OTR'rs get? I always see price per mile but what does it really work out to? Frac trucks are always bragging but........
replyreply
(05-25-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  I have wondered about that myself, our local market is very good. Pulling an end dump is $110.00 an hour and 10 wheeler is at $95, hauling logs is steadier but its about 95 an hour. I would like to know what OTR'rs get? I always see price per mile but what does it really work out to? Frac trucks are always bragging but........

The only true answer is how much in taxes someone pays at the end of the year. I.E.> how much did they keep and could "buy a new kitchen stove" with? and therefore owed taxes on. that is where the rubber meets the road.

No point in bragging about $350k a year gross if you qualify for E.I.C lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-25-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  I have wondered about that myself, our local market is very good. Pulling an end dump is $110.00 an hour and 10 wheeler is at $95, hauling logs is steadier but its about 95 an hour. I would like to know what OTR'rs get? I always see price per mile but what does it really work out to? Frac trucks are always bragging but........

The only true answer is how much in taxes someone pays at the end of the year. I.E.> how much did they keep and could "buy a new kitchen stove" with? and therefore owed taxes on. that is where the rubber meets the road.

No point in bragging about $350k a year gross if you qualify for E.I.C lol.
Very true! Our fuel price is over $4.00 a gallon and in Cali anything older than 2010 is getting tough to run, what the feds don't tax California does, don't even want to start in on the price of a house :-(
replyreply
I only ever ran local, and turned wrenches on the side. But even being local started to turn into 700 hundred mile loops and not getting home till after 9 every nite. 1 baby later and now now its back to just turning wrenches. I miss my truck alot, but Rawze is right, family first.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.