Coolant in EGR system
04-10-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
Coolant in EGR system
I have a 2009 ISX that is getting water in the EGR system.

This is the newest motor that I have owned, and afraid that I do not know much about the EGR. I found the coolant while cleaning the pipes and sensors.

First thing that comes to mind is a head or head gasket, but after reading some of the post on here I thought that I would ask for opinions.

My question is:
Is it possible to get water in the system from the egr cooler, or other components in the system?

I'm losing about a gallon a day, but there is no coloration of the oil, and I have no back pressure (pushing water out of the overflow) from the radiator.
replyreply
RE: Coolant in EGR system
Sounds like an EGR cooler to me
replyreply
I agree with Signature 620 most likely an Egr Cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmQnAJzmVo
Link to Rawze's Video on how to check the EGR Cooler.
The bad part is if it is the EGR Cooler. The coolant flowing back thru the intake and EGR valve will cause it to soot and carbon up really fast.
So you may need to clean everything out after it is repaired.
replyreply
I would not drive that thing until you get the leak diagnosed. Sounds like the cooler is bad... But you still need to pressure test it to be sure. And that gallon of coolant is going somewhere, and I suspect it is heading right to your DPF DOC filter... Those things ain't cheap, and they don't like coolant. If that is the case, replace cooler and get rid of the mandate.
replyreply
04-11-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
Just because you found water/moisture in EGR piping, does not mean it is the EGR cooler!

It is also the place in the engine that collects moisture when it is warming up,.. etc. Just like you see water coming from the tailpipe from a car when it is cranked in the morning.

Do a test on the EGR cooler,.. do not let moisture buildup in those pipes fool you into replacing an expensive component for nothing.

PRESSURE TEST YOUR COOLANT SYSTEM!!! -- And fine the leak(s) if you are loosing coolant, and since you found moisture,.. YES, check to see if it is indeed the EGR cooler while your at it.

https://youtu.be/sN-91JqrMg8

and...

https://youtu.be/tNmQnAJzmVo

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-13-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
All,

Thought that I would write a quick update on my findings, seeing as you all were so willing to help.

I removed the two bolts from the EGR Cooler cross over pipe and pressured the system. I did not have to wait but about 5 minutes before it started dripping.

I also found a leak on my top radiator hose. It would not leak until the system pressured up to 15 psi.

Another question:

I've been reading online and alot of people are suggesting buying an aftermarket cooler, in lieu of one from Cummins. I have not talked to any of them, just read comments. Most say that the aftermarket coolers last longer.

Have any of you used them? Which are preferred Cummins or aftermarket?

K/R,
BSiddle
replyreply
There might be a better option for you to discuss on the Rawze.com Mumble chat.
replyreply
Not sure what that is. I don't see a mumble button on my screen.
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )bsiddle Wrote:  Not sure what that is. I don't see a mumble button on my screen.

Mumble is a place you can ask questions and get answers on things we can't discuss here .
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.