Coolant in EGR system
04-13-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
RE: Coolant in EGR system
(04-13-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 )bsiddle Wrote:  Not sure what that is. I don't see a mumble button on my screen.

Mumble is a place you can ask questions and get answers on things we can't discuss here .

See this. P.S. the most guys are on 7-9pm CST
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=53
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )bsiddle Wrote:  ...

I've been reading online and alot of people are suggesting buying an aftermarket cooler, in lieu of one from Cummins. I have not talked to any of them, just read comments. Most say that the aftermarket coolers last longer.

Have any of you used them? Which are preferred Cummins or aftermarket?

DO NOT BUY AN AFTER-MARKET EGR COOLER!!!!!!!! -- BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Those "tougher" after-market egr coolers do this notoriously, --- They have terrible thermal efficiency and cause serious problems with hot gases going into the intake. I have seen some (not all) that were so bad, it would discolor and burn the paint on the venturi pipe, making it darker than the rest of the engine. it also sets the engine up for piston failure.

Here is a copy-paste from the old forum...
==============

(10-27-2014 )Hush Wrote:  Forgot to mention that the egr valve has been cleaned.

But this is what I discovered with insite.

When I am rolling, the egr valve is closed, both commanded and measured. 0 % it says, but egr temperature is still 210 to 240 no matter how long I coast.

But if I unplug the magic plug, egr temperature drops down to 100 degrees.

Just wondering if my egr valve is bad?

I started shaking my head even before finishing reading your post,... It is pretty obvious to me,... I know these engines well enough to know that you have already stated your problem, and its cause, but you just don't know it...

Well, I hate to say it, but I have seen this before,... Your super-duper EGR cooler is actually to blame. There are so many stupid companies that do not know these engines worth a damn to look past their own noses. You clearly stated what is wrong with your engine, your EGR gas temps are way too high coming back around into the intake. 200-240 C according to your EGR temp sensor, is a clear and cut case of that so called 'super-duper' EGR cooler not doing its job because of its piss poor design. Sure, its bullet proof, I get that, but the damn things cannot transfer heat worth a damn because of it. Your EGR temps should be about 110- 130 C or so, close to that range. That super-duper egr cooler is shi#t when it comes to proper heat xfer, and that is exactly WHY the original factory designed one has such thin walls, etc. SO IT CAN XFER THE HEAT PROPERLY!!!. That piece of crap, you paid so much money for, now slapped onto the side of your motor, may have super-duper after market welding, and thick pipes, but it is DEFINATELY NOT WORKING PROPERLY!!!!!. It is obvious that it cannot cool the exhaust gasses properly, because of its thicker, larger tubes. I fully understand that people want the best for their trucks, but believe me, some things ARE NOT BETTER JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE TOUGHER!. it takes thin-walled tubes to xfer the heat away properly in the EGR cooler, and lots of them. ANY compromise in wall thickness, number of tubes, and/or size of them,... and guess what,... IT CAUSES PROBLEMS!.

A typical result of the EGR cooler not doing its job is in fact,... high EGR temp sensor readings. Constant turbo derates because the engine is trying to cool the EGT's,...only it CANT!!!,... so it resorts to partially closing the EGR valve to stem the tide of high EGR temps so the freggin pistons and valves don't melt!!!. It also will cancel regen cycles regularly, because of the derates. EGT's will be highar than normal too, because the system CAN NO LONGER REGULATE THE EXHAUST TEMPS PROPERLY!!!. Turbo will start overheating, witch usually causes the all too common 'Turbo-inlet Temp' alarms, and fuel mileage goes to shi#t because the timing is retarded to help lower the now out of control EGT's.

Does this sound a little like what you are experiencing?<./..? well BLAME THAT STINKIN OVERPRICED EGR COOLER!.

This would clearly explain WHY your egh temps are so high as well,... The Engine will compensate for higher than normal EGR gas temps comming into the intake, assuming the EGR cooler is failing (clogged with soot).

I am not blaming you for what has been done, I blame the stupid shop that even suggested such a thing. Every truck owner wants the best for their truck, and wants NOT to have problems, but there is no excuse for such a piss poor design of an EGR cooler, bulletproof or not.

=========================

failed engine from after-market egr cooler..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...02#pid2802
=========
Tags:
egr cooler, aftermarket egr cooler, after-market egr cooler, excess egr temps

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
i was waiting for that post
replyreply
04-14-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
(04-13-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  i was waiting for that post

Me too... ;-)
replyreply
04-14-2016, (Subject: Coolant in EGR system ) 
Like watching a bolt of lightning hit and waiting for the thunder ! LOL

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.