engine fan on excessively
05-28-2018, (Subject: engine fan on excessively ) 
engine fan on excessively
Hi all, I have a 2010 KW T408 with an ISX 525 pulling 45,500 kg (50 us ton)
Truck is new to us but has 1m km on it (Rebuilt 700k)
The engine fan comes on excessively. If it looks at a rise it comes on. Start of winter here and i cant drive out the driveway without it coming on. Also the a/c come on when in reverse???
Have replaced ecm temp sensor and intake temp/map sensor. Checked all wiring for intermittant connections. No fault codes, no engine light. Only time it doesnt come on is dead flat road cruising. Any suggestions?
replyreply
RE: engine fan on excessively
If you suspect the A/C then unplug the compressor clutch and see if the fan does not stay on so much.

Could also be dirty CAC or radiator too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have cleaned out the radiator,CAC and condenser. a/c was a side issue, im wondering if that is a feature?? can it be turned off.
is there any other temp sensors on this engine going into the ecm eg, oil...
I keep feeling that it may be due to cooling system program or emissions. I read one of your posts about egr "mandates" and the possibility of "side effects". i havent pulled the egr off yet to check if someone has dodged it up. but i have cleaned out the sensors and the intake pipe from the egr, werent that bad.
replyreply
i should also mention we are only getting about 4-4.5 mpg (1.7km/L) from our engines. with the weights we carry we should be around 5mpg?
replyreply
There is a "minimum run time" inside INSITE in features and parameters that could be holding it on excessively. It would be best to monitor it through INSITE to see what is actually commanding it on and work backwards from there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620
(05-28-2018 )Froggy3 Wrote:  ...
I read one of your posts about egr "mandates" and the possibility of "side effects". i havent pulled the egr off yet to check if someone has dodged it up. but i

If you suspect you have bad programming, then pull the file out of the truck and e-mail it to me. I can look at it for you when i get a chance and let you know its quality.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(Depending on what fan hub you've got) Have you checked the seal in the fan hub isnt leaking?
replyreply
05-29-2018, (Subject: engine fan on excessively ) 
I dont have insite. Only inline mini for codes and engine data. Has been hard to get info over here. Most places are dealers or guys who want to de mandate with aftermarket systems. Where we are closest dealer is 250 km away.
Insite has only been accessable in Australia since mid 2017. Im definitely looking into getting it.
Updating the fan issue. I changed my driving style today after watching a couple of the videos on fuel consumption and found that the fan is not coming as much. If i keep the boost under 15psi it is almost normal. Im going to check out the CAC in a couple of weeks as we are flat out at the moment. Lastly, what are you guys roughly paying for insite. Thanks
replyreply
05-29-2018, (Subject: engine fan on excessively ) 
A T408 and an EGR engine are not usually good friends as far as coolant temps go. I have seen some success by fitting a lower temp thermostat to stock cm871s.

The best thing for it would probably be reducing or removing EGR flow but that should not be considered on an engine with so many KMs since it's last build.

Definately check for boost leaks next chance you get.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.