Advise on truck and engine purchase
04-12-2016, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
RE: Advise on truck and engine purchase
(04-11-2016 )Magard Wrote:  Hi all I'm new to the forum. Been trucking for 10 year before all this emission stuff came to be. I was mandated to upgrade to particulate filter so I sold out. Heard so many horror stories about the new trucks being broke down and in the shop more than driving. I am going to by a used truck but I don't know if Cummins is the most sensible choice. Frankly I'm scared of all of them but I'm leaning towards a 2009 Volvo with Cummins. I don't like paccar trucks so freightliner but I have heard Terrible stories of freightliner Cummins combo. Don't know much about Volvo engines. My last truck was a freightliner with pre emission isx. I liked the motor all right but the fuel system seems wierd. My favorite truck was a freightliner with a preemision ism with a rv program in it set at 450 hp. But those days are gone. Looking for advise with experience behind it, thanks

I know what you mean. I have 2008 prostar cummins isx and I like it my advice to you is before buy make sure that dpf is clean ( baked not forced air clean) and please sent the money on a good engine,trans,rear, with dpf warranty its gonna cost around 3-5k but trust me you will pay that in 1-2 shop visits.
replyreply
07-24-2016, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
I am trying to decide on a truck to,

Not to long ago a purchased fedex route that came with 2016 volvo 780 with d13 and I shift, 130k miles, its a nice, quied and smooth driving truck, great when sleeping wile driving team on the road, And than has some things that I hate, like wind noise if you crack the window down a little, doors loud when closing, little wobley on turns uneven road and wind, Front tires wear quick it was on its second set when I git it and already wear on the new ones.

I love my the freightliner with ISX, especialy with the mandate removed, more solid and feel confident on the road, how ever little loud engine noise when driving and not as comfortable as volvo.

However last week I did a mpg test, fueld up in dallas dallas both trucks tuesday morning to the cap, we hooked empty doubles both trucks and followed the Volvo 480 miles to olive branch ms. Both on cruise control 67 half way and than we did 70 mph cruise control rest of the way, when we made it to the yard volvo took 59 galons, freightliner took 66 galons,
Same pumps fueld plus the volvo had around 3-4 hours more idle time, and at times we may have cought some drift behind volvo
replyreply
I am looking at posibly getting kenworth t680 with ISX and auto shift,
Guys at the yard that moved up from new volvo 780's and cascadias
Say they dont compare in comfort with the kenworth.
replyreply
(07-24-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  I am looking at posibly getting kenworth t680 with ISX and auto shift,

A lot of drivers on our account love the T680. I've never driven one, but I sat in one. I didn't really care for it, but that is probably because I am so used to my Volvo.

I'd personally stay away from an auto shift, but I think I remember you posting something saying that you HAD to have the auto shift.

I'd spec the truck out with a 13 speed and gear it just right so that it would run 65 mph at 1200 rpms or so in 13th. 1400 or so in 12th. I'd run 13th on flat ground and 12th through hilly stuff. But it also depends what you haul.

That's my take.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
Sorry to ask maybe a dumb question but what do mean by remove mandate? What is that?
replyreply
07-25-2016, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
PM sent

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
07-25-2016, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
(07-24-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  I am looking at posibly getting kenworth t680 with ISX and auto shift,

Had to reply on this one::

I have 2014 t680 since new and had 2000 Volvo 770 bought used in 2004
Drive team too...
T680 is way worse than the old Volvo when is about sleeping while driving
Is noisier in the sleeper both park/drive,noise is coming thru the sleeper sliding up windows and the opening sleeper doors
All that considering that I ordered it t680 with optional Artic isolation,waste of money
I have it with 13 ultra shift that at 300k, works fine, skips gears, up and down..fuel mileage is 8.1 mpg since new ...
T680 has way less spaces inside/over head,than Volvo cab...do not buy table is not functional for team...top bunk is way narrower than bottom...fridge is very different /worse...
The side mirrors are smaller and the view is way worse than Volvo , challenging when backing in tight places...

The good
T680 is dead quiet while driving from road noise ((can hear engine)) but not the cars/trucks alround you except the Harley's
Nothing rattle inside yet after 3.5 y ...volvo would and a lot from the dash....
Imo driving position is better , I have full gauges and nav/6 xtra gauges

Btwy I ordered it at the kW dealer across factory in chilicothe,oh and got 3k discount on the transport to ur dealer...u must pick it up there
replyreply
 Thanks given by: sbtrucking
04-04-2017, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
(07-25-2016 )T680 Wrote:  Had to reply on this one::

I have 2014 t680 since new .............I have it with 13 ultra shift that at 300k, works fine, skips gears, up and down..fuel mileage is 8.1 mpg since new ...
.............T680 is dead quiet while driving from road noise ((can hear engine)) but not the cars/trucks alround you except the Harley's
Nothing rattle inside yet after 3.5 y ...volvo would and a lot from the dash....
Imo driving position is better , I have full gauges and nav/6 xtra gauges

Btwy I ordered it at the kW dealer across factory in chilicothe,oh and got 3k discount on the transport to ur dealer...u must pick it up there

What spec's you choose?
replyreply
04-18-2017, (Subject: Advise on truck and engine purchase ) 
I have a 2008 kenworth t660 and like it now.When i bought it new I also liked it till it had 300000 miles on it then nothing but DPF,EGR,DOC,EGR COOLER,troubles.I did a lot of swearing but finally found this guy in his front yard shooting videos on how to maintain these crazy expensive emission troubles.Things got better after that.For about say about the first 700000 miles I was wishing for my 98 t660 with my 3406E cat back but after finding this website and hearing about the troubles with cm2250 and cm2350 I am glad now that I do have the cm871.Lesser of 3 evils. As far as brand of truck I personally think its more important to make sure the drivetrain is in good shape.Thats the thing that will make you either strive or send you crying and bankrupt .And make no mistake alot of peopl have done the later.

User's Signature: when things are not going good ,I just want to go sit in a mud puddle and blow bubbles
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.