Authority Pros & Cons
06-01-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
RE: Authority Pros & Cons
I personally enjoy having my own authority. I work when i want to work, go where i want to go. I make what the broker pays not a penny less. Drawback? The headache of keeping up with fmcsa regulations and meeting their requirements (6 months of legal logbooks, drug and alcohol consortium, heavy highway tax with the irs, irp, ifta.) Go figure, government is my biggest problem. Best thing i ever did.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: simon999 , Waterloo , Chamberpains , rrod , snailexpress
06-01-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
Also with ur own authority u can power only with the big guys for that stability. Or just broker solely for a big company.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Chamberpains
06-02-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
I've driven since 1998, owned my truck and leased to carrier since 2002, and had my authority since 2012. I guess all I can say is that I'm glad that Mayan calendar thing didn't pan out because I definitely will never go back. It's good to pull for a carrier for a while to get used to operating your own truck, and some people prefer not to deal with the headaches, but it's nice to be the one calling the shots, and not depending on a dispatcher or dealing with company politics.
And the money's a lot better.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , simon999 , t700 , rrod , snailexpress , AHMLLC
06-06-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
New to trucking. I bought a 2011 Cascadia 450 cummins 197K mi from a Customs Sale ( They got caught smuggling dope in it) The first thing I have learned is nothing is cheap on trucks. If I win the lottery I just might be able to afford to be an O/O for a few years. I have saved a lot of $$ from watching Rawze videos and youtube. I had to replace the rear rear as Customs Police cut a big donut(pardon the pun) hole out of what was the rear diff to get to the dope. I have changed all the fluids, fuel pump tappets and the plungers,allignment and 4 new batteries ( truck sat in a impound for 3 years) I have done a EGR tune-up and planning on seeing Mr Hagg soon. I was in the windshield business for 30 years. I have been retired for 4 years and now 53 and sitting at home is getting old. Now with all of the apps, program, load boards etc. it is super easy to be your own boss.It has taken 5 weeks and $2000 to get MC/DOT and LLC etc set up. I paid cash for the truck and buying a new Mac step-deck. Remember in any business stick with what you know.(In my case I know numbers) Plus we had our own trucks and dry vans to run inventory between our warehouses. Keep your expenses in check and save save save. Did I mention to save your money. I've seen so many people open up and then as the money starts coming in they blow it and think I can just sell a few w/shields or run a few loads to pay my bills. Then something happens and one bad week their broke and out of business.. As an Owner the hardest thing you will have to do will be making yourself work. Keep that left door closed and the wheels turning and the money will come. Spend money to make money. When you choose a load board spend the extra $50 a month to get all the features of that board( like avg rates etc) Listen to advice on sites like Rawze. You can soon learn
to spot somebody that knows WTH they are talking about or just plain ignorant. This trucking business is nothing more than numbers. LEARN MATH and know what your REAL NUMBERS are. SAVE for break downs bad weather etc. Did I mention save???I see so many you tubers that want to be truckers and can't Add,Subtract or don't even have real numbers. How the hell are you going to sell something in this case miles if you don't know what they really cost you. There is money in any business if you know it. Keep track of your numbers, costs and don't forget to save money for your taxes or I will be buying your truck from a Treasury SALE!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AHMLLC
06-06-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
Well, loads boards will break you. 100% of nothing is NOTHING. And that truck of yours will have LOT ROT. Welcome to my world, look me up. Waterloo. I am the poster child for abuse here. But, I am stubborn, and my sheet is paid for. Work smarter, not harder, the only way I could afford this mess I am in. Just saying. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Otterinthewater
06-07-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
Load boards aren't bad. You just have to know your operating costs and never operate under it. Leave loads that don't pay even if they are convenient or are gonna get you home.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , BadDog
(06-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Load boards aren't bad. You just have to know your operating costs and never operate under it. Leave loads that don't pay even if they are convenient or are gonna get you home.

Is the "leaving loads that don't pay even if they are convenient or gonna get you home" based on taking that load eventually drives the fair market rate down? When I first read this I stared at the computer like a dog turning it's head not understanding a new sound. In essence, eliminating poor route planing and not having a good pre-plan, available HOS hours, just strictly looking at cost. Lets say 600mi from my terminal/home and there was a load that paid $.95 per mile, after subtracting fuel cost that would be a meager $300 profit. Add the additional wear and tear for the weight .vs running empty and it's probably slightly better than breakeven. Factor in a an hourly wage for the roughly 12 hours to get back there and that $300 pays roughly $25 per hour. I'm not sure if this is the wrong way to look at this. I'm new so just looking for info.

thanks
replyreply
(06-07-2018 )Otterinthewater Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Load boards aren't bad. You just have to know your operating costs and never operate under it. Leave loads that don't pay even if they are convenient or are gonna get you home.

Is the "leaving loads that don't pay even if they are convenient or gonna get you home" based on taking that load eventually drives the fair market rate down? When I first read this I stared at the computer like a dog turning it's head not understanding a new sound. In essence, eliminating poor route planing and not having a good pre-plan, available HOS hours, just strictly looking at cost. Lets say 600mi from my terminal/home and there was a load that paid $.95 per mile, after subtracting fuel cost that would be a meager $300 profit. Add the additional wear and tear for the weight .vs running empty and it's probably slightly better than breakeven. Factor in a an hourly wage for the roughly 12 hours to get back there and that $300 pays roughly $25 per hour. I'm not sure if this is the wrong way to look at this. I'm new so just looking for info.

thanks
I don't and won't take a cheap load. I know what real costs are. I had a mentor when I was young that told me once that "Once you drop your pants down you will find it very hard to pull them back up" I have seen so many people that drop prices and their mentality is well it's more money than I would make working hourly for someone and 2 months later they are out of business. Now everyone wants the service for their rates. I just tell them they can call that guy but no wait he is out of business.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Otterinthewater , Waterloo , smorgan87
(06-07-2018 )BadDog Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 )Otterinthewater Wrote:  

thanks
I don't and won't take a cheap load. I know what real costs are. I had a mentor when I was young that told me once that "Once you drop your pants down you will find it very hard to pull them back up" I have seen so many people that drop prices and their mentality is well it's more money than I would make working hourly for someone and 2 months later they are out of business. Now everyone wants the service for their rates. I just tell them they can call that guy but no wait he is out of business.

Understood.

I’ve got friends that basically work for free (in their chosen passion industry) then complain that they’re always broke. I’ve got very little sorrow for people who make the same mistake over and over again...

Thanks for the clarification.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.