Low oil pressure, again
06-06-2018, (Subject: Low oil pressure, again ) 
Low oil pressure, again
Got a 2011 Prostar. ISX 871, Just changed oil and filter. Replaced air filter and crankcase filter. Cleaned and rebuilt doser. Performed egr tune up. Ran regen. during regen oil psi stayed at about 32 psi. After regen was complete the psi went to 20. Running Napa oil filter and FS 1540 oil. My boss thinks it needs an oil pump. I heard that many guys have changed the pump but low oil psi returns. I really am trying to avoid having the international dealership try to say it needs an inframe. Only 458k on it. Im gonna get a manual gauge and confirm the oil pressure. Insite showed what the gauge shows. Anything i may have missed or need to check?
replyreply
RE: Low oil pressure, again
After regen it returns to idle so 20 psi with a stick oil pump should be normal....unless its 1400 rpm and 20 psi...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , ksmech11
What is the oil pressure rolling down the road? 20-24 psi just idling is normal, say around 800 rpm with a warm engine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11
06-07-2018, (Subject: Low oil pressure, again ) 
Running at operating temp it hangs around 30-35 psi. Another thought i had is my boss wants oil changes at 16k. im thinking 12k would be the max due to the soot factor and heavy pulls we have. Any thoughts?
replyreply
06-07-2018, (Subject: Low oil pressure, again ) 
well...10k is recommended here...12 is still ok IMO. 16k is pushing it but a far sight better than the cummins recommendation of 30k miles. That oil pressure sound good for an un-shimmed pump.
replyreply
06-08-2018, (Subject: Low oil pressure, again ) 
What is the truck used for and how much idling? These motors do not like to be idled. From the sounds of it I want to say have new rod and main bearing rolled in. Now I am wondering what the cams look like.
replyreply
Or its at that mileage where its all sooted up. Oil passages maybe clogged. So changing the oil a lot more frequently may show positive results. Like a couple 5000 mile oil changes and extra filtration. 30-35 psi on a fresh oil change is a bit low.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , ksmech11
(06-08-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Or its at that mileage where its all sooted up. Oil passages maybe clogged. So changing the oil a lot more frequently may show positive results. Like a couple 5000 mile oil changes and extra filtration. 30-35 psi on a fresh oil change is a bit low.

Agree, could be carbon packing. I did not realize how bad this could get until spending a few days with Mr Hagg at his shop and talking with the mechanics. Seemed to be a comment I heard quite often there. And seeing the affects of it, it is quite ugly and destructive to the motor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11 , rrod
Truck is used for pulling loaded tanker. Milk and milk products. I get on my drivers about idling. I pulled the valve cover and inspected cam and rollers. Clean as a whistle. Over head had been run in the last 75k. Ran the truck yesterday with an empty trailer thru the hills here in south west Wisconsin. Oil pressure dropped to an average of 37 psi under load.At idle it stayed at about 23 psi.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.