Ideas for quicker responce (tuning question)
06-10-2018, (Subject: Ideas for quicker responce (tuning question) ) 
Ideas for quicker responce (tuning question)
Helping a friend out with his 871 and gave him a quick original @m*m^2 job. His is a big cpl with big turbo.

He loves the power but the turbo won't spool and pull hard till about 1350rpm, so I tried closing the min table a bit on the lower end which helped a tad but it's still a bit laggy, he owns 7 trucks and all are 2250 or newer so I explained that those engine's all have quicker responce turbos and this big cpl won't have that snappy throttle responce but it'll pull hard on hills.

Either way, what would I have to do to give him a quicker spool down low? Do I need to tweek the fueling table a bit?

Thanks alot for the help guys, a little out of my league here but I'm helping a friend out as best I can like you guys once helped me! The circle continues lol.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Ideas for quicker responce (tuning question)
(06-10-2018 )Brock Wrote:  Helping a friend out with his 871 and gave him a quick original @m*m^2 job. His is a big cpl with big turbo.

He loves the power but the turbo won't spool and pull hard till about 1350rpm, so I tried closing the min table a bit on the lower end which helped a tad but it's still a bit laggy, he owns 7 trucks and all are 2250 or newer so I explained that those engine's all have quicker responce turbos and this big cpl won't have that snappy throttle responce but it'll pull hard on hills.

Either way, what would I have to do to give him a quicker spool down low? Do I need to tweek the fueling table a bit?

Thanks alot for the help guys, a little out of my league here but I'm helping a friend out as best I can like you guys once helped me! The circle continues lol.

Rather than making it more responsive and therefore shortening its life ... Tell him that a truck is not a race car and to learn to drive it right instead of trying to make it into one!.

My own experience is that you can't satisfy idiots like that!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Moose , Pd6cas2
I hear that, I think he was just hoping to have it spool up a little sooner as he's hauling some pretty heavy weights with this one. He isn't power happy, we actually dialed it down a little but he's just used to the quicker response of the smaller turbo engines.

I know driving it myself, it was a pretty drastic difference from my small cpl prostar which has very quick spool time...... His truck seemed to lag quite a bit compared to mine (which to me is normal)

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(06-10-2018 )Brock Wrote:  I hear that, I think he was just hoping to have it spool up a little sooner as he's hauling some pretty heavy weights with this one. He isn't power happy, we actually dialed it down a little but he's just used to the quicker response of the smaller turbo engines.

I know driving it myself, it was a pretty drastic difference from my small cpl prostar which has very quick spool time...... His truck seemed to lag quite a bit compared to mine (which to me is normal)

I'll throw my .02 in here, that turbo I bought through Mr Hagg is night and day over my reman Cummins that it replaced. My old turbo was a dog compared to this new YTS Turbo. I need to hook a trailer to the truck to really verify this, but I think I'm on to something here.

This turbo just snaps when called into action. I just drove 700+ miles with my foot, and when I needed oomph, that baby was there. I cannot say that about my leaking, puking oil right out of the dealers lot 18 month old Cummins Mexican reman turbo.

And granted, my motor sucked from the prior crap in frame. This turbo is very impressive at this point, lets see how she does with a trailer and some time. But as of now, I have nothing negative to say and high hopes. For what it is worth.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JMBT
I would rather have the nozzle held open as wide as possible for efficiency at cruise than closed creating back pressure for quicker throttle response.
replyreply
Ok thanks for your thoughts guys, this isn't a highway unit so it isn't a battle between efficiency or power. When my 60 series was tuned, I had the same concern about it being a dog down low but they quickly changed a few things and she came to life.

With the work we do, having the more narrow power band could be more of a headache then anything. I'll play around with it and see what I can get done.

Thanks.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.