Transmission oil change
06-13-2018, (Subject: Transmission oil change ) 
RE: Transmission oil change
Next question how much fluid goes into the tranny, and differentials?
replyreply
(06-13-2018 )74bassman Wrote:  Next question how much fluid goes into the tranny, and differentials?

You can find that in the manual. I think its around 3 gal. or so. Or fill it up to the fill hole.
replyreply
Rawze you have talked about the additives separating out before. Is a separation analysis expensive to do? Does it even exist
replyreply
(06-13-2018 )rapidisimo Wrote:  Any major difference in the winter months with 80-90 in the tranny? I'm in the north east and we had a tough winter last season, just wondering if it feels any different.

We do all 48 year around and end up in extreme cold a lot in winter. Sometimes you can feel it is a bit stiff after sitting over night, but it gets going again in short order, Have not had any issues. We do use synthetic and that helps stabilize it in cold weather.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
06-14-2018, (Subject: Transmission oil change ) 
GL5 or GL4 75/90 in the transmission? One guy suggested using 20W50 wt synthetic engine oil in the trans over 50 wt trans fluid years ago. Anyone try that?

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
06-20-2018, (Subject: Transmission oil change ) 
I am getting ready to drain and fill my trans and rears too and I have decided to switch to the thicker SAE oils in all the boxes. My question....when switching from synthetic 50wgt. To SAE 80-90 do I need to do anything special to flush the trans first or just regular draining gets enough of the synthetic out? Same on the rears, just drain pumpkin the normal or something special to get all the synthetic oil out?

I am guessing the system would have some tolerance for the synthetic residues that will remain on gears, bearings, and in little nooks and crannies?? Right??

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
I was thinking of using the Sta-lube 80w90 gear oil in my tranny even though it's not synthetic, would that be ok?
replyreply
(06-20-2018 )rapidisimo Wrote:  I was thinking of using the Sta-lube 80w90 gear oil in my tranny even though it's not synthetic, would that be ok?

Some differences between synthetic and dyno ...

The only real advantage I have ever seen from of synthetic is that it will stay an 80/90 more consistently in higher and colder temps. In a gearbox that is not temperature regulated (air cooled only) dyno oil might get a bit thick in the extreme cold and a bit thin in the extreme hot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
What synthetic brand would you recommend? It does get a bit cold/hot at times here in the north east. I see so many diff brands not all synthetic.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.