My Pete rebuild
08-27-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(08-27-2018 )Brock Wrote:  I've owned 7 trucks in the last 8 years and every single one of them had the ground wire just hanging there, I'd ask the mechanic whenever putting a new rad in and every single one always said it wasn't needed....... I just never questioned it.

Hasn't been till the last couple years that I've started questioning things mechanics do and also doing alot of my own. Two of my three current trucks aren't hooked up....... Guess what I'll be doing soon......?

It is one of those things that prevents ghost problems.

The problem an ungrounded coolant system can create is known as "Stray Voltage Electrolysis". It can be a common problem on on some vehicles, while others are less effected by it. Some say it contributes to coolant problems with radiators/heater cores/heat exchangers getting anodized and/or holes eventually eaten through them, especially when there is a lot of electrical noise present in the vehicle. I have heard of cases where it causes coolant hoses to get pin holes in them, water-pump bearings getting eaten up, or even gasket issues on some vehicles.

Every make/model truck/car and its use is different when it comes to this problem, or how big of a problem it may be. A truck that has a lot of electrical noise like one with high powered radio gear, or one with large inverters and heavy amperage alternators would be more prone to having issue with the radiator improperly grounded.

Personally, I always ensure the ground is hooked up and any mechanic that would tell you it does not matter is a fool in my book. It goes right back to sheer laziness and lack of proper education on such systems.

A mechanic doing work for others should never have this "How little can I get away with" but instead, "What is the proper thing to do".

here is some info that came up in a search...
https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2011...ctrolysis/

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Brock , indian_richard , Toolguy
08-28-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
That's what I love about this forum. Something as simple as a ground plug gets an explanation, along with a cause/effect of why.

Here's something to annoy my fellow OCD'ers...

I'll look at these ugly pan bolts every time I change the oil, and think back to that night at 1 am that I just didn't want to take another hour to blast and paint them lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BobsYourUncle , Hammerhead , Mrkentee
08-28-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
You can call up Carlisle Carrier in Mechanicsburg PA and ask what not grounding the radiator does to a Cat c15 in a fleet of 150 International trucks at the time. About 100 injector cup jobs later the lesson was well learned.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze , snailexpress
09-01-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Just like building a house, the finishing is the most time consuming. It seems like every time I turn around, I'm trying to track down a clamp, a bolt, or something that that's 2 days out. Kind of feels like chasing happiness.

I had no history on the radiator, other than it didn't have any apparent leaks. I poked the scope inside and it looks clean. Was, and still am a little nervous about it, but I'm about 15k over budget already and have a long ways to go, so while I was tempted to just put a new one in, this will have to wait.

Did get a new fan, since the old one had a few too many nicks and chunks out of it...

Thinking I may try to get it far enough along to fire up before I install the clutch and transmission. Just in case....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Brock
09-01-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(09-01-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Just like building a house, the finishing is the most time consuming. It seems like every time I turn around, I'm trying to track down a clamp, a bolt, or something that that's 2 days out. Kind of feels like chasing happiness.

I had no history on the radiator, other than it didn't have any apparent leaks. I poked the scope inside and it looks clean. Was, and still am a little nervous about it, but I'm about 15k over budget already and have a long ways to go, so while I was tempted to just put a new one in, this will have to wait.

Did get a new fan, since the old one had a few too many nicks and chunks out of it...

Thinking I may try to get it far enough along to fire up before I install the clutch and transmission. Just in case....

lol i should have came by your shop to rebuild my motor :D. that thing looks clean!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
09-02-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(09-01-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  lol i should have came by your shop to rebuild my motor :D. that thing looks clean!

lol, let's make sure it runs first. But, hey, if you're fine with going $15k over estimate and being down 6 months.... I still don't want the job haha.

My tire machine is buried in boxes of air lines, split loom, bolts, nuts, and misc. hardware.

I have a pile of these, and they just don't seem to want to fit anywhere well. I'm pretty sure they were on the wire bracket above the intake, but....

I get a little teary eyed when I look back at my shop BEFORE I decided to run 400 cars a year through it....

replyreply
I don't care how pretty you made the outside of it,.. Any after-market crap inside the engine is a no go in my book.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-02-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  [quote='Evotrucker' pid='29984' dateline='1535856998']

lol i should have came by your shop to rebuild my motor :D. that thing looks clean!

lol, let's make sure it runs first. But, hey, if you're fine with going $15k over estimate and being down 6 months.... I still don't want the job haha.

i was down for 4 months when i was working on my truck lol! id prefer to work in a cleaner shop then a old abandoned looking building lol.

if you dont mind, i wanna ask what did that shop cost you to make? and whats the total so far you spent on the truck?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(09-02-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I don't care how pretty you made the outside of it,.. Any after-market crap inside the engine is a no go in my book.

Rawze I love ya, and God knows it takes a personality like yours to go out and do what you've been able to accomplish, but damn, there's times I wish it wasn't so insultingly harsh lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Diesel_Pusher

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.