My Pete rebuild
09-04-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(09-04-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  If you haven't got it in yet, I have a Lipe 1 and I don't think it's any harder to hold the pedal in at a light. It does grab like a mofo though, so engagement is when you need the leg muscles to finesse it smoothly...

Holding it in isn't the issue, it's the "finesse" part towards the top of the stroke that gets me. Even in my youth, if I was spotting trailers all day, it felt like my knee cap was going to pop off.

It went on last night, and transmission is in now.

Which brings me to this little flub. You know, the release forks can fit in the pressure plate slots just right... You can spin all the bolts in by hand, and find out that it's stuck. Then you get to put the jack back under it, back all the bolts out, which the loctite has started to harden on, pull the transmission back far enough to get it to drop down where it's supposed to be on the throwout bearing, and then clean your threads, apply new loctite, and spin things back in... Not that I would ever f&*(#p like that or anything lol. I should have known, since things went way too smooth.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Hammerhead , Signature620 , indian_richard
(09-04-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Holding it in isn't the issue, it's the "finesse" part towards the top of the stroke that gets me. Even in my youth, if I was spotting trailers all day, it felt like my knee cap was going to pop off.

It went on last night, and transmission is in now.

Which brings me to this little flub. You know, the release forks can fit in the pressure plate slots just right... You can spin all the bolts in by hand, and find out that it's stuck. Then you get to put the jack back under it, back all the bolts out, which the loctite has started to harden on, pull the transmission back far enough to get it to drop down where it's supposed to be on the throwout bearing, and then clean your threads, apply new loctite, and spin things back in... Not that I would ever f&*(#p like that or anything lol. I should have known, since things went way too smooth.

I feel your pain.
I'd love to tell you I've never done that fork wrong place thing, but I'd be lying. Luckily I didn't have it bolted and loctited in yet.

Lipe finessing isn't difficult, it's just different. Because the springs are direct instead of angled, it seems to pull itself into engagement, so as it starts to engage I actually begin pushing the pedal back in slightly and then it engages very smoothly. It's a difficult clutch to slip engage.
If I don't do that, I look like a newb

BTW, hats off dude! You are doing a quality job, it exudes pride.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , indian_richard
I have a lipe clutch, noticed a huge difference in how hard it was to push the pedal from my easy pedal. I want to try a easy pedal with the VCT plus PD next.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
09-06-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Hoping someone here can help me out with my linkage.

From the transmission to the rear linkage, which side does the adjusting rod go? Transmission side, or frame side? Pretty sure the rear point gets 3 washers, but what about the front?

I need new bolts, but this is the best guess I could come up with, putting it on the frame side...

replyreply
Oh, and getting closer to getting some juice hooked up... I'm going to miss the easy access from the side once the battery box is on though.

replyreply
(09-06-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Hoping someone here can help me out with my linkage.

From the transmission to the rear linkage, which side does the adjusting rod go? Transmission side, or frame side? Pretty sure the rear point gets 3 washers, but what about the front?

I need new bolts, but this is the best guess I could come up with, putting it on the frame side...

Looks right.
I haven't had/done a Pete clutch in a few years...
You know this, push rod linkages need to push straight/direct or they weaken or bend over time. Bends and angles are always part of the formed pieces of the linkage.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
I'm not sure if it's just me with this curse, or anyone else experiences this kind of madness. I completely forgot I wanted to check out the foot treadle before I put the transmission in... Yeah, so it's froze solid. So, instead of mounting my battery box and going about a productive day, I'm here...

Just so that I can take a cut off wheel to my brake pedal and get to the last bolt to drop the treadle.

So far, if it didn't break, I've had to drill the heads off pretty much everything. I didn't think this truck was too filthy, but there's dirt packed EVERYWHERE. It's probably a good thing I already live in perpetual despair, otherwise this would be a discouraging day in the accomplishment department.
replyreply
09-07-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(09-06-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  I'm not sure if it's just me with this curse, or anyone else experiences this kind of madness. I completely forgot I wanted to check out the foot treadle before I put the transmission in... Yeah, so it's froze solid. So, instead of mounting my battery box and going about a productive day, I'm here...
So far, if it didn't break, I've had to drill the heads off pretty much everything. I didn't think this truck was too filthy, but there's dirt packed EVERYWHERE. It's probably a good thing I already live in perpetual despair, otherwise this would be a discouraging day in the accomplishment department.

Seriously?
You're making me feel normal.
Glad to know I'm not the only one, and I feel your pain.
Dirt, dust, rust gets/happens everywhere...it's just the reality of time.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
09-07-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(09-07-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Dirt, dust, rust gets/happens everywhere...it's just the reality of time.

Maybe it's because I only worked at 1 company, and we pulled van/reefer, but I've never seen dirt like this lol. It's a fine powdery dirt, and was as thick as the flooring on the edges. The inside of the dash and wiring is coated. Truck was leased to Schneider and had a PTO, so who knows. Maybe it was a lot of blowing out tanks in dusty lots with the fan on, windows down, and a/c pulling as much in as possible lol. Before flooring or anything else gets put in, the dash is getting torn down as much as feasibly possible so that I can take the ductwork all out and wash it.

I have to be careful, the wire labels break too easy at 10 years old...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.