My Pete rebuild
03-12-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(03-12-2019 )ChicagoDiesel Wrote:  Do you have a mechanical background. Maintaining machinery like Rawze?

I ran a Auto & Light truck repair shop for the last 8 years, and did a year in a fleet shop doing PM's and trailer checks (grunt boy) in my early 20's. Familiarity and owned tools helps a lot, but it isn't everything.

(03-12-2019 )ChicagoDiesel Wrote:  I want to learn to work on my truck but I just feel like l lack the basic skills. Im always afraid im going to break a nut or bolt and wont be able to take it out.

It happens no matter how much experience you have. A mig welder and a bucket of nuts helps lol. I had just as many problems with frozen/broken bolts on the big truck as I do the cars here in the rust belt.

(03-12-2019 )ChicagoDiesel Wrote:  Taking the plunge this year though. I'm pretty good with reading manuals and applying what I learn it's just that I have this fear that im going to break something. The fact that there's a youtube video for just about everything gives me a little more confidence that when I break something it wont be the end of the world.

Is that how you guys learned? Just trial and error.

Also, where did you buy your ISX? Im in the market for a crate cm570 and was wondering if you know of a good place.

Trucks looking great btw

I bought my bare block on eBay. I really considered having Gearhead or Haggai's build me a long block - but didn't have the time make the trips (or legally be able to haul the thing home with my 1/2 ton). If you can read and comprehend and watch a youtube, you can do just about anything. Rawze's videos are great at showing you the how/whats when you don't have a clue. Other than throwing together a engine for the backhoe, this was my first diesel build ever. I wasn't an engine builder going into this, and I'm still NOT an engine builder lol. I'm not sure how other's feel, but working on these is WAY different than putting a new head on a dodge 2.0
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ChicagoDiesel
03-12-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
It's sure looking good. I'd wish you luck, but since that thing is practically brand new, pretty sure there won't be any issues! Hope you pass with with flying colors.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
03-13-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Is the enhanced inspection to get it an "R" title? Or bump it up in registered weight?
replyreply
(03-13-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Is the enhanced inspection to get it an "R" title? Or bump it up in registered weight?

To get the R title. Since weights are all xxxx'd out on the salvage cert, the state wants a weight slip. No clue why they can't just go off the door jam, or what the empty weight of the truck has to do with GVWR, but that's PA archaic titling laws for you.
replyreply
What a maddening day. 3 Notaries, 3 different opinions on why "I can't" and would have to wait 3-5 weeks before I could plate this thing. If you are from PA, you probably have an idea how messed up our DMV is. Today I found out that messenger services are also not all created equal.

That said, for anyone here in Western PA that finds themselves in need of an enhanced inspection, I can't say enough good things about Jim Kriley Sales & Services Inc. in Butler, PA. They were professional, prompt, and frankly went out of their way to accommodate me. The fact that they were also the cheapest was an added bonus.

The Notary Express in Kittanning, PA has ALWAYS done a stellar job, and this time was no exception - I just wish they had been my first stop today, rather than my 4th. While they can't issue apportioned plates, I have my pink slip in hand to get them tomorrow.

One year exactly to the day (just noticed it while shoveling paperwork into the folder) that I bought my truck, I got to (albiet, pissed off and illegally) drive my truck for the first time.

Some observations after getting behind the wheel for the very first time after 14 years:

- I only ground gears once on my first up shift, but it's like riding a bicycle and a few miles down the road I didn't even have to think about it.
- Big trucks don't ride like a car, but it's pretty close, and smoother than I remember any company truck. Really liking the silver road shocks so far. I aligned the rear axles to each other, with 1/16" closer on the DS like Rawze suggests. Not noticing any pull, but still need to check the toe.
- The Dynamat, new weather stripping, and added insulation make for a quiet cab. Almost too quiet. Even with the passenger window cracked, I miss the whistle of a turbo.
- I need to get into the ECM and poke around. It's pretty doggy and still has something governing max rpms.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , redbeard , Tootall
03-16-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I got the call Thursday giving me the heads up that getting apportioned plates would be a no-go until the title posts. I could get base plates any time I wanted @ $2,200. Uh, just to drive around and pick up my trailer? No thanks. I told my state representative's office that I'm ready to just fill it up with red fuel and start working for cash. Over her head, but it made me feel better.

I tried to step away from the chaos, only to spend some time with my wife dealing with some pretty heavy spring lamb losses. Nothing like 40+ degree temp swings to bring out problems everywhere. Hoping to make a trip to auction while prices stay healthy and we still have something marketable to sell lol.

Some quirks and bugs to work out in the meantime. Got the bladders Rawze mentioned for the doser pipe

https://amzn.to/2LtyagO

And turbo intake

https://amzn.to/2Y2fkyz

and re-threaded a spark plug fitting to fit the turbo inlet air temp to pressurize and find a few leaks, with the biggest being at the air compressor hose.

Since March likes to play the 70 degrees and wake up to snow card, this'll be the closest thing to glam shot I'm going to get until I can get someplace with a nice background.

...and since it's Saturday night and I don't drink, I'm going to spend some time poking around and see what I can find causing the electrical gremlins in the sound system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
What might be limiting your RPMs is Load Based Speed Control in the ECM not the one you adjust with insite i set mine 1800 and 1800rpms and it still screwed with me i had to use Cal**** to turn off the LBSC completely and now truck runs how i wanted it. This setting can be changed without a full tune download.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
(03-16-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  What might be limiting your RPMs is Load Based Speed Control in the ECM not the one you adjust with insite i set mine 1800 and 1800rpms and it still screwed with me i had to use Cal**** to turn off the LBSC completely and now truck runs how i wanted it. This setting can be changed without a full tune download.

Thank you. After seeing how many lines came up with the search I was relieved to see one with a simple toggle lol.

replyreply
Yep should RIP and roar if rest of program is all setup
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.