My Pete rebuild
01-02-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
Has anyone ever checked or recorded piston protrusion? It's not listed anywhere on quickserve.
replyreply
Shouldn't need to right? As long as your rods and pistons measure the same length as OEM, you should be good. What makes you think about this?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Because I've been overthinking EVERYTHING and the next step is to slap the head on this thing lol. That and Rawze has mentioned compression ratios more than once, I was more curious than anything.

Also curious on these anti-polish rings - I'd think they'd just be asking to fret the head.

I just know that the next time the tops of these pistons are visible, there's a very good chance that I'm going to be filling the liners with tannerite.
replyreply
I've thought the same thing about those rings.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
01-03-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I have not seen it yet. Only fretting I see is when there are also liner issues.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
280k on overhaul with a head that was reused when previous owners overhauled it there wasn't a single scratch on it from those rings

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Huh, who'da thunk it since they're essentially free to dance around. Measuring my old gasket crush at approx .080", the rings have approx a .063" protrusion from the liner flange, leaving .017" of free space.
replyreply
01-04-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(01-03-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Huh, who'da thunk it since they're essentially free to dance around. Measuring my old gasket crush at approx .080", the rings have approx a .063" protrusion from the liner flange, leaving .017" of free space.

makes me wonder if aftermarket gasket is thicker?. that could explain a lot of compression differences. - old isx used to have thicker gasket and 'fire rings' installed the gasket to keep the combustion gasses in.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-04-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I guess it's possible, but if the IPD gasket was thicker, it would have reduced compression to some degree. I didn't mic the Cummins HG, not that it would matter without a before/after measurement, and I really don't want to open this thing up again...ever lol.

I did 150', then did two sets of 300' before calling it a night.

One nice thing about the OE Cummins kit (and head), is the USA markings on everything. I don't think it was always like that, but I don't think there was anything in the crate that didn't list US as the origin.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , Rawze , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.