My Pete rebuild
12-09-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
As mentioned in another thread, I started gathering parts for a new engine build.

I never really did come up with a great way for maneuvering a block around. As much as I'd like a rotating engine stand, none of my Powerball tickets have panned out. The new engine block was crated and shipped upside down with liners installed. I figured the less I had flop the block around the better, since every move increases the likelihood of dirt or debris getting someplace it shouldn't be. So, game plan is to install the crank before flipping it over and checking/pulling the liners.

Yesterday I opened the crate and prepped the block to install the crank. It was surprisingly clean, oil passages had no metal traces, and the main journals just had a little bit of fines in the grain from the final honing on them. Cummins used some funky oil when they ran the main bolts in that left some residue on the mating surfaces, but otherwise, so far, so good.

Lifted the crank out of it's crate and found that Cummins had to remind me that they're still Cummins, and QC is still up to me. No pieces in the crate or bag - they packed and crated it up like this...

Replacement crank should be here tomorrow, along with rods and piston kits. Not that they'll be going in anytime soon, since I still need to measure and address liner height. If all holes are square and even, the plan is to get SS shims made to bring them to .015"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Running rough , tree98 , Rawze , schISM , Andre_The_Giant
Good thing you caught that. It would have run like doo-doo (if it did not cause crank position faults), and you would have been guessing at why.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
I kind of wish @Unilevers was still active here. I delivered some pipe molds to a cryogenic place last week and got to BS a little with the owner. I picked up new head bolts and am tempted to have them treated. Not sure where the benefits>cost line is exactly, but since I could have them done for next to nothing, I figure the price is right?
replyreply
12-10-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Will it do any good below 800 hp ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
12-10-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(12-10-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Will it do any good below 800 hp ?

That's kinda what I'd like to know since I plan on being well under that mark. I used my old head bolts over twice now and didn't even check for stretch last time. I'm leaning towards not bothering. I see more pictures of cracks between injectors and valves, and between valves than I hear about failed head bolts.

Got a call this morning and gave my "don't want to" rate and ended up with a ratecon anyway, so free time in the shop is on hold for awhile.
replyreply
12-11-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
When you have the time you don't have the money, When you have the money you don't have the time.....

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(12-10-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
I used my old head bolts over twice now ...

It would be more prudent to replace thse bolts after the second time they have been stretched than to try to do something fancy to them. I know that I would replace those bolts after the second time they were used... it is typical the rule of thumb for stretchy-bolts, to replace them after the second use.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-11-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-10-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
I used my old head bolts over twice now ...

It would be more prudent to replace thse bolts after the second time they have been stretched than to try to do something fancy to them. I know that I would replace those bolts after the second time they were used... it is typical the rule of thumb for stretchy-bolts, to replace them after the second use.

I'm not even going to pull the head on the old engine when I swap - I was talking about the new bolts, if it was worth it to have them treated.
replyreply
(12-11-2021 )Nostalgic Wrote:  ...
I'm not even going to pull the head on the old engine when I swap - I was talking about the new bolts, if it was worth it to have them treated.

unless you could get it done on the real cheap as a "just for fun, or curiosity" project, .. there is no mechanical benefit to it under any normal assemblance of application.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.