My Pete rebuild
08-06-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(07-29-2018 )same101us Wrote:  Has anybody ever heard of balancing the rods and making them weigh all the same?

I considered this. Problem is, what most people consider balancing is 'weight matching', which is only beneficial for certain things. Not a connecting rod. You have big end and small end weight to worry about because of the physics of a running engine.
On top of that, the real benefit would come from a good dynamic balance, which involves weighing all the pieces as a group, weight matching to the lightest piece, until all of the rotating parts are identically weighed. Then the crank can be balanced...yet another problem.
Not only do you need to remove the crank for this, but the vast majority of shops that can balance engines don't have machines that can handle cranks like the ISX...
I've found only one shop on the east coast that claims they can do it, that I've by chance personally used. I want to, I remember hearing of how smooth they've made some heavy diesel engines run by balancing and how far off the balance is on some...theyve balanced some engines for me before (but not of this size)but since it requires the crank to be pulled...that's still asking alot though.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
08-06-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(08-06-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  
(07-29-2018 )same101us Wrote:  Has anybody ever heard of balancing the rods and making them weigh all the same?

I considered this. Problem is, what most people consider balancing is 'weight matching', which is only beneficial for certain things. Not a connecting rod. You have big end and small end weight to worry about because of the physics of a running engine.
On top of that, the real benefit would come from a good dynamic balance, which involves weighing all the pieces as a group, weight matching to the lightest piece, until all of the rotating parts are identically weighed. Then the crank can be balanced...yet another problem.
Not only do you need to remove the crank for this, but the vast majority of shops that can balance engines don't have machines that can handle cranks like the ISX...
I've found only one shop on the east coast that claims they can do it, that I've by chance personally used. I want to, I remember hearing of how smooth they've made some heavy diesel engines run by balancing and how far off the balance is on some...theyve balanced some engines for me before (but not of this size)but since it requires the crank to be pulled...that's still asking alot though.

On my other thread I posted pics of 2 rods that had marginal piston pin bushings. Do you see any balance issues replacing just 2 rods? I have saw cut and will replace with saw cut.
replyreply
08-07-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
PAI new is around $800, Cummins reman is $1200, and new $1600.

I took me way too long, but I finally found a supplier of parts for Wabco compressors.
Of course teardown may reveal more, but I think I can get by with a light hone, re-ring and a new head?

replyreply
Where are you getting parts? Im assuming you mean other than the head?

If you can get by depends on a number of things...the question is, SHOULD YOU. You need to check all the critical dimensions before you decide that, but I'm sure a machine shop could set you up if needed. It is totally possible to use a dingleberry hone and rering a cylinder, but you want it to be reliable and last awhile.

That cylinder doesn't look too bad, have you checked it for wear and taper? Do you have a cylinder hone to see if that bore will clean up? What about the piston, does it come with a new one or have you checked the skirt for wear?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
Haven't pulled anything apart yet, other than the head, because I had a bugger of a time finding parts. Still need to call and check pricing to see if it's worth it. I'm sure the bore will clean up without the need for an oversize piston.
replyreply
(08-06-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  On my other thread I posted pics of 2 rods that had marginal piston pin bushings. Do you see any balance issues replacing just 2 rods? I have saw cut and will replace with saw cut.

If you're just going to replace the 2, I can make you a deal.
replyreply
I'll pm you
replyreply
08-08-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I had a page written up, and I guess forgot to hit post before I closed the page.

Yiyito got my turbo yesterday, called me today, and is shipping it out tomorrow. Can't beat the service. I just hope it looks and performs as well as Waterloo's.

The compressor took down some Snap On tools today. The little connecting rod bolts are some hard little buggers that killed every T30 bit I had. Turbo sockets are no match for them either.

Speaking of connecting rods, my wife gave a hand and we swapped out my remaining 3 last night, and pulled the head out of the crate to start swapping plugs. Of course I read on quickserve about updated plugs for the fuel bores (edited: didn't realize at first that they're all 3 fuel - after cleaning the head up, I learned that it's not real complex on the porting - my only confusion is how the water channels intersect the injector cups) on the front and back of the head. 3 minutes until Peterbilt closed, I made the choice to just replace o-rings lol.

I've been looking at my radiator tubes, and decided to just get new ones. Another company that gives great service - B&H Tubes. Ordered yesterday, received today, and polished up this evening. I think they'll look ok?

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , DSTdriver
08-09-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
New head is on and screws torqued to 300 ft lbs to sit for the night.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , RocketScott

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.