My Pete rebuild
08-09-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
You gonna paint that head red? It would be a shame to run it as is and let it get all rusty...

Those tubes the stainless replacement ones? I changed mine and never looked back.

3 minutes until close? Sounds like me lol

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
Almost every part that could be, has been sandblasted and painted. You think I'd let a raw head to rust lol? I painted the front of the head, but the rest will wait until some more stuff is bolted up.

I went with Cummins water pump... Base is red, and I have some clear for the pulley. Probably won't stay nice long, but that's what pictures are for lol.

Not sure what to put in the gap between the head and front cover to keep crud out.

replyreply
...just checking. That thing is awfully pretty...I love a clean fresh look. It doesn't make you money, but I love a clean engine! It screams that it's taken care of...not just to you and me but the DOT man as well.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
They always say "chrome don't get you home", but it sure makes having to leave the house a little easier.

I've relaxed (learned to cope) in later years on personal vehicles. I've had to, between the dog and the farm, I'd go insane trying to keep them spotless, but my big truck? That's my safe space to let my OCD run wild.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Mrkentee
Looks beautiful man! I am the same with the OCD, everything I take off gets stripped primed and painted.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
08-10-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(08-09-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...just checking. That thing is awfully pretty...I love a clean fresh look. It doesn't make you money, but I love a clean engine! It screams that it's taken care of...not just to you and me but the DOT man as well.

aint that the truth about the DOT, after i got my truck. i washed away as much grease and oil as possible. made a diff when i got pulled into the weight station 3 weeks later.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
I had the chance to talk to a couple of dot officers at a company I worked for a few years ago. He basically told me how they would stereotype trucks based on the carrier or owners history as you drive down the lane...but the biggest thing is what they see. If they see a truck that is all falling apart, looks neglected, lights don't work, etc that is the guy they normally look at pulling into the inspection bay. Nowadays they even start checking bearing, tire and drum temps with thermals to get an idea if your brakes are malfunctioning or out of adjustment, etc...

I don't get stopped much, but I make a point in keeping my truck fairly clean, so if I do get pulled in, its usually fairly quick and painless. When they see a clean truck and new parts they usually won't look that hard compared to worn parts on a filthy truck.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ragindirt , t700
Slid my new injector cam and valve cam in this evening, cleaned and prepped my gears, getting ready to set the lash on my idler, and get my Loctite 609 out of the box from my order back in June and.... it's not 609, but for some reason, I ordered 680. Sonofa...

I looked up the specs, and I suppose in a crunch I could use it, but I'll be waiting for a bottle to show up Tuesday.

I just have an evap core on a Subaru tomorrow and I'm taking the rest of my weekend off to go fishing.
replyreply
08-11-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(08-10-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Slid my new injector cam and valve cam in this evening, cleaned and prepped my gears, getting ready to set the lash on my idler, and get my Loctite 609 out of the box from my order back in June and.... it's not 609, but for some reason, I ordered 680. Sonofa...

I looked up the specs, and I suppose in a crunch I could use it ..

I have some experience/history with this on industrial machinery. I also had to re-visit this question when Waterloo's truck was over here because he did the same thing and got 680 by mistake.

Your assumption or source of info is incorrect for that particular application. 609 is for fine micron, high polished, no clearance applications and 680 is for rougher steel with larger micron gaps in the fit. They are 2 quite different products. The 680 has a much higher expansion rate that is not suited for fine finish applications. The 680 will expand too much and possibly cause issues and/or the fine micron high polished surfaces to slip under separation.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Signature620 , ZeroNthedark , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.