My Pete rebuild
12-24-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
Lime you say,.. it may be a rod out of spec then... not sure.

Have not seen it happen on the fly like that before. Usually right after first crank when it does. -- Perhaps the hard start had it in a bind, rod shifted to one side real hard somehow? -- unsure.

Have had a lot of ppl in the past call me up and say that their older engine suddenly had a lot more blo-by after a rod/main job was done. After investigations, bearing kit was almost always after market (this is the case most of the time). BUT I also always ask if anyone plastigauged the aftermarket bearings or checked them for proper thickness with calipers,... and the shop/ no one bothered to. I have seen a lot of aftermarket bearings that were not the same thickness as OEM when measured.

... or OEM was used, and the job was not done quite right. Perhaps things not measured or most of the time, not checked for proper side-play, looseness, etc.

That or proper bearing part#'s not verified against what came out, side play was not checked, etc. because ISX can have 3 different OEM bearings in them from factory and no one bothers to check the part#'s of the old ones to see if a rod or 2 has a different clearances, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-24-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(12-24-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  Lime you say,.. it may be a rod out of spec then... not sure.

Another possibility is the aftermarket liner and piston themselves. Harder to prove, easier to blame, but I want to be sure. The last thing I want is to wipe out a new liner.

The thing about checking the rod - I have no way to inspect as shown in quickserve, which is why I went with 6 remans the first time around. Hopefully once everything is out and I can look at the bearings and piston it will reveal more?
replyreply
12-25-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(12-24-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(12-24-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  Lime you say,.. it may be a rod out of spec then... not sure.

Another possibility is the aftermarket liner and piston themselves. Harder to prove, easier to blame, but I want to be sure. The last thing I want is to wipe out a new liner.

The thing about checking the rod - I have no way to inspect as shown in quickserve, which is why I went with 6 remans the first time around. Hopefully once everything is out and I can look at the bearings and piston it will reveal more?

look at the wear pattern that has set into the brass in the wrist pin... see if it is even across.. maybe take some pics in the light where it shows in a photo.. post em?

Wear on one side(front-to-back of rod), more then the other,.. this is not good sign.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-26-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 

replyreply
Extreme carbon packing all around, but so far I pulled #2.

replyreply
Liner, marked for intake side, exhaust side, and I believe the other is the rear...

Sprayed the piston off with brakecleaner...

...and like I've said numerous times, I'm no engine builder, but the con bearings look good to me?

replyreply
Wow!!! That's a lot of carbon in a short amount of time!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
Yeah... Why?!?

Intake and exhaust valve stems

Other than not using any coolant, I still tasted the droplets - just condensation I assume.
replyreply
(12-26-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Yeah... Why?!?

Intake and exhaust valve stems

Other than not using any coolant, I still tasted the droplets - just condensation I assume.

I'm very interested to find out too. Are those scores on number 2 piston above the top ring? Does the liner look like that too?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.