My Pete rebuild
07-18-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(07-18-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  There was a recall on ecms I would get the info from your dead one see if it was part of the recall. I posted info on up sometime back on here

Thank you! Yup, mine is a prefix of B. I wrote the campaign and recall #'s on my warranty form.
replyreply
Is it possible to reset the idler gear lash without pulling the cam gears? My timing is right on, but can turn the damper back (counter clockwise) about 1/8" from the insert pin mark with the cams wedged.

Since I'm under a load and booked myself 7 loads this week (WTF was I thinking? These redheaded step children can't be depended on that long lol!), I don't really want to tear into it until next weekend. Think it's ok to run out the week as-is?
replyreply
(07-18-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Is it possible to reset the idler gear lash without pulling the cam gears? My timing is right on, but can turn the damper back (counter clockwise) about 1/8" from the insert pin mark with the cams wedged.

Since I'm under a load and booked myself 7 loads this week (WTF was I thinking? These redheaded step children can't be depended on that long lol!), I don't really want to tear into it until next weekend. Think it's ok to run out the week as-is?

ur just a glutton for punishment... when some1 is here for a rebuild, we throw away those spring loaded gears. they are more of a hazard than they help. Ask waterloo what i think of those gears.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(07-18-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Is it possible to reset the idler gear lash without pulling the cam gears? My timing is right on, but can turn the damper back (counter clockwise) about 1/8" from the insert pin mark with the cams wedged.

ur just a glutton for punishment... when some1 is here for a rebuild, we throw away those spring loaded gears. they are more of a hazard than they help. Ask waterloo what i think of those gears.

All non-scissor gears in mine.
replyreply
07-19-2020, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Knew a guy who had a CM870 since new and put 1.8 million on it, had his buddy check out the blow by not even two miles down the road motor let go. Scissor gear failure all the bolts were completely backed off, gear train completely destroyed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
02-16-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Any update now that you got some miles in it and some use? Did the oil consumption away and fuel mileage come up? Did you figure out the last problem you had with it?
replyreply
02-16-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(02-16-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Any update now that you got some miles in it and some use? Did the oil consumption away and fuel mileage come up? Did you figure out the last problem you had with it?

I just realized how long it's been since I did any update...

Cummins covered the defective ECM. Took a couple months, but I got my money back.

Since I pulled my cooling pack to change the balancer (BTW - Dorman balancer = junk, right again Rawze) - onto my next adventure...

Put a microfiber towel in the lower radiator hose to keep crap from falling in while I did the balancer.

Yeah, you probably guessed it.

I didn't know until I hit 50k post rebuild (10k after doing the dampener) when I changed my coolant filter and found a scrap of towel just laying on top.

TOP RIGHT in picture is the piece I found when unscrewing the filter. All the dirty lint (TOP CENTER) was what I scraped off the filter element.

Bottom wad, is what I pulled out of the TURBO. How that f&*(^ing wad got sucked into the little round fitting and made it that far is beyond me, but it did, and got stuck in the big banjo fitting on the outside of the turbo.

Pulled every line, hose and fitting off, along with the oil cooler, and recovered as much as I could find. I dried it out and compared to a few other rags, and figure I recovered about 2/3's of the towel based on weight. I'm sure my heater cores are still holding some.

Surprisingly, despite the turbo slobbering a little oil into the CAC when cold (which it has done from day 2), all seemed to be ok.

Beginning of the year, while pulling the Cumberland plateau on I40, the CAC boot clamp on my turbo outlet let go. Of course it happened right where the shoulder is fenced, so the pyro got a little warm until I could get to shoulder and off the road. A used boot and clamp from the sidebox got me home to put a new boot and clamp on, and everything was dry for a change. 10-15k later it's now pushing enough oil to wet the intake, so I ordered a new, not reman, from my local dealer, but not sure if/when it'll show up but I have my used YTS spare to put on if need be.

Since I had to drain coolant and pull my radiator AGAIN this weekend, to replace the my leaking (80k miles) horton fan clutch, I might as well swap now.

Since it's ice-maggedon this week, no way I'm doing it with the garage door up, so I invested in a radiator puller that will work without having to pull the bumper and hood first...

IFTA ended at 6.47 MPG for 2020. End of year I put new drive tires, Firestone FD690+ on, with horrible R/R. Between them, winter fuel, and a lot of loads that are terrible wind grabbers, I'm around 6.02 so far for 21. Racing the ELD for a few long next day deliveries hasn't helped economy, but sure has boosted revenues lol.

Last oil sample looks good.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Rawze , Chamberpains , SquareOne
03-19-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Any Pete electrical guys on here? A couple of weeks ago, my fan kicked on for no apparent reason. Then it did it again. I pushed the a/c button (I had my heat on defrost/floor as usual) and it changed pitch/seemingly fully engaged the fan. Pushing it off, and the fan got quieter, like it was letting the clutch slip. I ran the trip just leaving the a/c button on and it didn't do anything strange until this week. Even with the heater controls completely off, it was kicking on randomly driving down the highway (temp reading 180-185 as usual, oil temp in the 210-220 range).

It's completely random, I can't really run with the laptop on to see if I can catch what is triggering it. By the time I'd wake the computer up, get blinded by the screen and die a fiery death, I probably still wouldn't be able to see why it's calling for fan lol.

I hate sporadic and random issues, thus I'm getting ready to fire up the parts cannon.

I picked up a new HVAC control panel. My thought was possible feeding/bleeding signal from the funky a/c switch. CECU is a $1500 possibility, and so is a rubbed wire. My question, is the ECM the only final say for engaging fan? If so, how many different input signals does it read, or does everything but the temp sensor go through the CECU before the ECM?
replyreply
03-19-2021, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
i would tie a light onto the fan solenoid and see if the trucks actually turning it on before that unless you got something from the scrap yard but i cant see it being a pete even a lousy hvac control costing less than 500 bucks vs a most likley free light if ya got stuff sitting around. would also look into possibly the solenoid to turn the fan on dieing or the high pressure switch on AC.

also with rag issue maybe something near the engine temp sensor causing spikes?

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.